Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor, 26 HP 54 in cut, elec start

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor, 26 HP 54 in cut, elec start auto transmission, model number is *****
As I was mowing it started to slow down on slight grades and finally stopped moving completely. I replaced the drive belt, which looked ok, and there was no difference when I tried mowing again. I referred to operator manual but found nothing regarding the transmission problems. The mower is only 3 years old. What can I check for reason why it is not moving?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does the transmission drive belt on top of the transmission quit turning. or does it keep turning. If belt keeps turning,problem has to be the transmission.

Transmission is not serviceable, but the # 15 ,is plug that can b removed, and yu can add a small amount of 15W50 engine oil, maybe a cup full, to see if it helps!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.
The belt does keep turning and I was afraid that it was the transmission. I will try adding some oil and if that does not work, assume it is shot.

If the tractor rolls free, showing the brakes are not dragging, it has to be transmission!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Any idea what a new transmission costs?

From Sears $665