Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a generac model 2010-1, s/nin my 2002 motorhome. The

Customer Question

I have a generac model 2010-1, s/n(###) ###-####in my 2002 motorhome. The generator will start and run for 5-10 minutes and shut off. It doesn't matter if the generator is under load or not. I've changed oil, oil filter, air filter, gas filter and spark plug with no positive results.
The generator was removed and said to be repaired before I purchased the motorhome. The repair shop statement indicates that all of the above was done by them plus replacement of the stator and a circuit breaker.
Can you give me and idea as to what to try next? I don't think it's worth having a shop remove the generator and attempt repair.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

While the genset is running, does it run smoothly, or is it running rough and/or surging?

When it shuts down, does it just shut down like someone turned it off, or does it start surging right before it shuts down?

When it shuts down, will it start right back up, or does it need extended cranking to get it started, or does it have to sit for a while before it will restart?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Runs smoothly and then starts running rough like an engine running out of gas. Normally it will start right back up.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Ok.

What I need you to do is to remove the large plastic cover from the control area of the genset.

Inside the control box, you will see a multitab with 3 wires numbered "14".

Using a 12V test light, or a multimeter set to read 12V, I need you to test that tab.

First, make sure all 3 wires are there and are firmly connected.

If the wires are good, and you have the light or meter connected, start the genset.

I need to know if that circuit loses power and then the genset shuts down (how long between losing power and shut down?), or if that circuit loses power as the genset shuts down, or if that circuit stays powered up for 5 or 6 seconds after the engine shuts down.