Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1850 powermate, will start and run for about 10 or 15

Customer Question

Coleman 1850 powermate, will start and run for about 10 or 15 minutes underload then die, and wont start back up for another 20 or 30 minutes
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel is in the tank, new fuel, removed the tank last night, cleaned it, removed carburetor and cleaned it,
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I already did the work myself
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I removed the fuel tank last night, emptied the fuel, cleaned the tank, cleaned the fuel lines, removed the carburetor, cleaned the carb, put new fuel in tank, new spark plug,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It will run for about 5 10 minutes, will die then wont start back up for a while
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

When engine quits, do you have spark? With no spark, the coil is going bad, or the oil switch is killing the spark. Is oil level ok?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oil level is okay, I have spark as well

So when it quits it has spark? If you open the fule line at the carburetor , do you have fuel flowing? Fuel tanked venting, not drawing a vacuum on the tank?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Runs with a load for about 15 to 20 min amd dies like lack of fuel . And same without a load fresh gass

Try it with loose fuel cap.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok

If a lack of fuel, that might be problem.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Gas cap did not work, the generator will start surging before it dies, then if you adjust the carburetor mid way between, run and choke it will smooth out and run a little longer then surge again a few times then die

Sounds like fuel starvation from the tank to the carburetor. Tank line and filter all open going to the carb?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we cleaned out the tank and all the lines last night, completely removed from generator, the generator will now start right back up every time, it gravity fed, with a in line valve thats open

You said it had to sit a while before it would restart. That made me think you were loosing spark.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thats the only option left i guess

You said you have spark, when it quits, so that rules that out!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Shouldn't there be noticeable spark coming from the spark plug wire when pulling starting?? I've tried placing it to where i can see spark coming from the cable, with the cable hooked up to the spark plug, there is a very paint spark coming from the plug

Yes, should be good spark! Maybe you do have bad coil.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I should be able to put the plug wire on like a screwdriver end and see spark from it correct or pplace it on a bolt end and see sparks? I dont have a volt meter so i cant do it the correct way

With spark plug grounded, and hooked to the cable is the right way! It should have good bright spark at the tip of the plug.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okay, just put in a new plug, has great spatk now, still dies

!! Unplug the oil level sensor and see if it runs.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any idea of location on this model

No , but will be on the crankcase of the engine.

I see question is still open, did you find problem?