Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I HAVE A OLDER EXMARK LAZER ZTR WITH A KOHLER CH25 ENGINE. I

Customer Question

HI, I HAVE A OLDER EXMARK LAZER ZTR WITH A KOHLER CH25 ENGINE . I RECENTLTY HAD CARBUREATOR CLEANED. ENGINE WILL ONLY IDLE AND NOT SPEED UP UNDER NO LOAD. IT CUTS OFF. IS THE SAM MODULE POSSIBLE CAUSE. IT USE TO RUN FOR ABOUT A HALF HOUR AND ENGINE WOULD SPUTTER AND CUT OFF. REPLACED BOTH COILS AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Yes. It is a 1996 or 1997 model . It has done this in the past
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had engine overhauled along time ago. I had rings installed recently beacuse ti was only firing on one cylinder. It still cuts off when engine has warmed up 15 to 20 minutes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have never replaced the speed control module which controls the spark timing
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

When the engine quits, do you have spark? Or it it loosing fuel? If spark is gone, then the ignition system, speed control can be bad. Or is the engine equipped with the OilGuard system , to kill spark because of low oil pressure? Would use the service manual to check it. But if it has spark, is the fuel solenoid in the carburetor opening? It can overheat or loose voltage and kill the fuel. Here is link to service manual.