Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Deere LX 176 lawn tractor that will not start. The

Customer Question

I have a John Deere LX 176 lawn tractor that will not start. The battery is good and there is gas in the tank. It will not even turn over.
TDavis
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

If you turn key on and off, do you hear the fuel solenoid in the carburetor click? If no click from the fuel solenoid as you flip key on and off, you have no voltage to the key switch, Locate the ignition fuse, behind the engine ad check the fuse.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
There is no click, but the battery light comes on.

If you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump the cable connection , to the single switch wire on the same solenoid, will engine spin? You say battery is ok? Do you have voltmeter to test battery voltage?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
but it didn't start. Might be that it has set for awhile.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Do you think I need a new solenoid?

But the engine did turn, so battery , cables and solenoid and starter are ok. The keyswitch can be bad, or one of the safety switches , seat or brake, or pto , can be keeping the key from engaging the starter. When was engine last running?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A month or so ago.

suspect bad key switch. take wd 40 and spray in the switch and then turn switch on ad off and work it , pushing down as you turn, t see if it will make connections.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. I got it running and I don't think it is the key switch, but I will WD 40 it anyway.

Good job, at least it is running! Thanks

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

I see question is still open,, please rate to close.