Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a braggs & Stratton I/C industrial/commercial engine

Customer Question

I have a braggs & Stratton I/C industrial/commercial engine 14.5 ohv riding mower.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I am taking this directly off the tag on the mower287707 model
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I had the belts done at a shop an the carb cleaned
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well my problem now is both times that it came back I've only used it for one run on my 1/2 Acre. An it stops. Now it won't turn on it cracks. Took the battery it was low they charged it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Engine is cranking, but not starting? If you remove the spark plug, and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug, will engine start for a few seconds? If it does, you are not getting fuel t the cylinder from the carburetor, Does the carburetor have an electric solenoid in the base of it? This is solenoid that plugs the main jet in the carburetor and has to open as soon as the key is turned on. Has to have 12 volts . It may not be opening.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is not my question, I was trying to give the lady and over all of what problems i am having. Also what things were done before had, that had nothing to do with the problem i have now.
She keep rushing me, my question sir is the clip on the end of the round silver piece that is. ext to the after fire solenoid is broke. the prog is still there so the prong the connects doesn't seat well.
could that be the problem. if so were can i go to get that part.
next how does something like that break on its own.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello are u still there
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello are you going to reply back sir,

So the after fire solenoid ti is broken and you are not getting power to it. The solenoid is sold separately, and is found with the carburetor parts. Do you have the full model number, to go with the 287707-????-??

Or you can eliminate the inner tip of the solenoid, and reinstall the solenoid as a dummy. None of the older engines use it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok remove the broken part ( tip ) that's still attached to the solenoid, and leave the solenoid there but empty.
So the other clip that was to go with it just do nothing?
lastly; do u think that has anything to do with the problem i'm having.?
sorry sir, it's not in my budget this time to chat on the phone.

You have to remove the inner tip, that plugs the main jet. The reinstall it and use it lie a bowl bolt Nothing attached to it, and tape up the wire that would go to it, so it does not short out.

That should let engine start and run.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
got it, i've repaired some troy walk behind mowers. remove it from the bowl and replace it with a nut. tap off the othe wire and if that was the problem it should start. If not I will try the other things u mentioned. An see what happens thanks will give u a update.

That should do it. or replace the solenoid with a bowl bolt!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i read don't attach any thing to it.?you were just giving a reference. got it .
Peace:

yes, no need to power a dead fuel [email protected]

I see question is still open, please rate to close!