Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I've got a PP335 and had to open the to clean the float

Customer Question

I've got a PP335 and had to open the carburetor to clean the float valve. It would start on choke but wouldn't run up. After cleaning it starts just great but runs flat out. Pulling the throttle trigger bogs it down of a second but it just runs back up. I've double checked and it appears my linkages are all hooked up correctly and work appropriately when I set the choke and pull the throttle trigger. Any ideas what I might have missed.
Thanks,
Toby
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Toby, did you check the fuel filter inside your fuel tank?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just recently replaced it and the line from the tank.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Also, there is an inlet screen inside your carburetor, that may be partially clogged.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I'm not sitting in front of the weed eater ready to work on it.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

No problem. I would check the the screen, when you have a chance.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I cleaned the screen when I opened the carburetor. Note the unit has no trouble getting gas. Problem is when I start it runs wide open. All the linkages seem to be operating properly but the throttle has no affect on the fact it is running flat out.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

when you say running flat out, are you referring to your engine bogging down?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No. I'm talking about high rpms. Fast. Like the throttle is fully engaged but, it's not.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Your engine is running wide open, although your trigger is not in wide open position?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That's right.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Now I understand you. Does your engine idle as it should?

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

The question above is a troubleshooting question.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No. I set the choke to start it. It starts right up. Immediately goes to full throttle. I depress the throttle trigger to take it off of choke but, that makes no difference. It just keeps running at full throttle.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

I am wondering if you have an air leak, possibly between your carburetor, and your intake?

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Or, if your throttle shaft is not fully closing after you release your trigger?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Would an air leak cause it to run out of control?
Don't know about your second question. Like I said. All the linkages seem to work as intended. Until this issue this was a very reliable piece of equipment.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Yes, an air leak can cause an engine to automatically rev up. Another possibility. Make sure your throttle cable is on top of the plastic piece that your cable rides on, and is not under the plastic piece.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The cable is running where it is supposed to. So for an air leak, are you talking about new gaskets?
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Yes, a new gasket between your carburetor and your intake.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok. I'll order a gasket kit and give it a try. Thanks Donald.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

You are very welcome! If the new gasket does not resolve our problem, I will be willing to continue working with you.