Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a yahama gas powered golf cart that will idle but

Customer Question

I have a yahama gas powered golf cart that will idle but does not go into anything more than an idle. It appears the wide drive belt is slipping. Is this a clutch issue?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just started
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes there is fuel in the tank and the shut off valve is open. Fuel is clean!!
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sounds good

The belt will not grasp the pulley until the rpm of the engine comes up off the idle position. Can you get engine to rev up?Engine may just be running on the starter and is not actually starting. As rpm increases, the centrifugal clutch squeezes the belt and drives the belt to the transmission pulley. If the engine revs, but the drive pulley does not close, the pulley is bad,

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No the engine will not rev up just runs at idle.

Check the engine, and the throttle linkage. Engine has to come up to speed, or yu get no drive. Is linkage to the carburetor working from the foot control?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a lot of slack in the throttle cable at the back near the governor. Isn't there supposed to be a spring that goes on the cable and helps pull that slack out? If so it is missing.

Cable has to have tension , or the throttle will not open. A missing spring is very likley. A universal spring, from auto supply or big box store will work.