Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

After cutting for about 30 minutes and dump the collection

Customer Question

After cutting for about 30 minutes and dump the collection buckets . I start cutting again and engage the mower blades and the tractor begins to vibrate excessively. At that point I disengage the cutting deck and the engine runs perfectly smooth. Many times when I let the tractor sit and start it back up and engage the cutting deck it runs good for a while.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can. Sears has been here once and did not fix the problem.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: These are the things I have done so far: check gas cap for vapor lock, change spark plugs, check 3 mandrills to see if one has been frozen, both belts replaced, checked idler pulleys and other pulleys to see if they were free. The Sears man put a new gas filter on. My thoughts are the spark plug wires connected to the module ignition; maybe a blocked muffler; ???
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Its acting like ignition breakdown under extra load by the cutting deck. Why is it intermittent and how do we fix it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? Engine make and model? Twin cylinder, so have you ran a cylinder balance test? Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, engine should continue to run. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Test may have to run when engine is acting up to find problem. Can be a bad coil or ignition failure.