Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic at Rhode Island Harvesting Co
96417199

My Stander 52 shuts off when I lower the deck and engage the

Customer Question

Hi my Wright Stander 52 shuts off when I lower the deck and engage the blades. It runs fine as long as the deck is raised all the way up. Hoping you could point me in the right direction as far as fixing this issue without having to drop it off at the dealer. Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About 2 days now.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not to my knowledge
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Bill McCusker replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome to Just Answers.. Lets see if we can solve this problem together.. My name is Bill.

Couple questions do you have the model number for the stander? and Have you checked all the safety switches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi William. I believe the model number is ***** Also I'm not exactly sure where all of the safety switches are located. I was hoping you'll could help me with that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But again. The blades will engage and the machine runs fine as long as the deck is raised all the way up. As soon as I lower the deck it will die if the blades are engaged.

It will Die even if you dont engage the blades and you lower the deck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It runs fine if I drop the deck and the blades are not engaged.

when you drop the deck do you kinda lean forward kinda lifting your heels a bit?

the reason i ask is because there is a safety switch below your feet its a operator safety switch.. I have seen when you move a bit the switch isnt being contacted..

so i wondered if when you drop the deck you lift up making no contact to that switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I did manage to find that switch and made sure my full weight stayed on the foot pad while dropping the deck. So I'm pretty sure it has something to do with me lowering the deck. I just can't figure out what it is. Idk where to look for the safety switch that is controlled by the deck.

If all seems well there is a few safety switches in the harness i would check them to make sure they are working

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only see one safety switch in that area and it is for the brake I believe.
Correct..
If it looks like its making contact but still dying I would try two thing check to make sure you have nothing stuck in the blade area and 2 unplug the switch Take the plug part and a wire and jump it if the mower works safety switch no good. Replace..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. The blade area is clear... Are you telling me to unplug the pto switch?
No was talking about the safety switch.. But you said u can drive fine right? If so that would get ruled out..
Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything works fine until I drop the deck. But I do not have a volt meter.
Mower works even when the deck is up high? Cause I'm under the impression its not working at all..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything works, even with the blades engaged, until I drop the deck. Then the machines shuts down completely. Starts right back up and everything... I bought it brand new about a year ago. It's done the same thing before and I took it to the dealer but I can't drop off at the dealer right now because I can't go without it for 2 weeks.
Do you recall the problem before? What the dealer told you.. Cause I'm a wright mechanic and I have yet to see that at my shop..as I thumb through a few service manuals for you.. I can only think 1 you are pulling or pinching something when the deck moves.. Or two the deck belt is off so that when u drop the deck it binds up to kill the engine.. You can try this.. Take the belt off from the engine to the deck.. Engage the blades the PTO will just spin move the deck if it doesn't die check over the deck area
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just called the dealer and they said something was probably being pinched when I drop the deck and to check the wiring harness that runs to the deck. So I'm going to do that when I get a chance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last time I dropped it off for this same problem they said it was something going on with the new model standers.
Give me some time to check service bulletins and let's see if I have an update so I can give you a proper answer.
Okay so I did do a little research I did find out there is a couple service bulletins on your unit. The problem is not knowing the serial number.. To find out if its under the bulletins or not.. also not knowing what the other shop already did I don't want you to try to try figure out the problem when it may be under a warranty situation.. What's your serial number.. There is a tag riveted on the side of the frame that will have your model and serial number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Serial #-77063
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or 2014-09-05? Not sure which one was the serial #

did you see if you move the deck up and down if it pull on anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked everything and didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
Did you take the belt off from the PTO.. Start the mower engage the PTO and lower the deck? Did the engine stall?
I'm trying to eliminate whether it's the deck or something with the wiring I'm still doing some research on service bulletins everything that I read has to do with the deck so that's why I asked if you took off the belt from the PTO tried to start the unit and lower the deck as if you were going to mow