JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

My stx38 with black mower deck starts quickly and runs well

Customer Question

My stx38 with black mower deck starts quickly and runs well for about 5 minutes, then stops like I turned off the key. If I wait about 1 hour, it will start again, but after about 5 minutes it cuts out. Can you help?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: My stx38 John Deere with black mower deck starts quickly and runs well for about 5 minutes, then stops suddenly like I turned off the key. If I wait for about 1 hour, it will start again, but after about 5 minutes it cuts out. Can you help?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I plan to do the repairs myself
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This mower is over 20 years old, but has always worked well.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

Once the engine cuts out, do you have spark at the plug? If you have not checked this yet, check for spark after engine dies out and let me know please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
After the engine cuts out, I do not have spark at the plug.
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

okay, this tells me the coil is cutting out and needs replaced. A new Ignition module (COIL) should fix your issue

Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL