Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have a Honda GX 630 and the charging coil was putting out

Customer Question

I have a Honda GX 630 and the charging coil was putting out 58 AC volts. A local small engine tech said to change the charging coil. I did and have the same results. This system uses a rectifier and relay to run an eclectic fuel pump and the output of the rectifier is about 47 DC volts and is burning out the relay. Any thoughts? Thanks Dan
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Three years old and this is a new problem
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, we have a pretty good knowledge of these motors
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: just don't understand the high voltage output, even checked the RPM
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK ready

Full model number? Stator /charging coil was ok, it just has to have a minimum of 28 bolts AC, Which after rectifier cuts it in half, and winds up around 14 to 18 volts DC. I would have replaced the rectifier! Is this a battery start unit or a pull start?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
GX 630 QXF* JH2V78F-A GCAMH(###) ###-#### I did replace the rectifier with the same result and it is electric start.

With high voltage reading with a new rectifier and stator, I think you have a bad ground and the rectifier is seeing it as a need to keep pumping out voltage. Check all the grounds, or add a new ground from battery to frame and from frame to the engine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Give me a couple of minutes and I will check that.

OK>

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I ran # 12 wire from the neg post on the battery to the engine block. Same results

Where is the rectifier grounded?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Our rectifiers are not externally grounded-- AC in and DC out with the wires connected to the 14 volt relay just to close that switch The bottom of the rectifier has a metallic base so I grounded the base to the motor frame. same results.

What is application?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The Honda motor is on a pressure washer and the relay sends power to the electric fuel pump when the motor starts. the normally closed terminal on the relay draws power from the starter engage wire to the started solenoid when the started is engaged and switches to the normally open terminals which is closed from the rectifier when the motor starts.

Owners manual, page 19, electrical diagrams. all indicate grounded components. I think when you get to the source of the problem, it will be ground related. I will opt out, as I don't have the time to research this further. Sorry.

Expert:  Vince O. replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I found a shop manual with info and specs. See section 8 and page 78. Maybe the info will help. https://1drv.ms/b/s!AqvmPfzg3ifPg-JqBa5C9W4-896WuQ

Expert:  Vince O. replied 8 months ago.

Any luck? Were you able to view the manual?