Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Kohler CV 20 S engine that is melting the top of

Customer Question

I have a Kohler CV 20 S engine that is melting the top of the breather assy. where the breather tube goes on the breather cylinder.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

No gas leak , where gas could be leaking out ans igniting? Vent should not get hot enough to melt! Is this the aluminum vent or a composite breather? Has it done it more than once?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What is a composite breather, and yes this is the second one it did it in less that two hours when mowing.

Composite breather, (plastic) not metal. Vents around cylinder heads open and not plugged with grass?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is plastic, and no grass or other things plugging cylinder, it came to me with the gasket bad between the cylinders cleaned and replaced gasket and replaced the breather and it did it again.

The engine exhaust is not leaking into this area, letting it get to hot?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, that is what I thought, so I replaced with new muffler and put all heat shields back in place and that didn't help.

I had one with a fuel leak, and the gas would ignite and ruin the breather, but that is the only one I can recall.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is no fuel leak, or exhaust leaks, and good air flow so it has got me puzzled. I thank you for your time.

I can opt out and see if anyone else will answer. Sorry.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help and time.