Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Out of ideas. New carb, filter, plug and gas. Even changed

Customer Question
the coil. Still won't start...
Out of ideas. New carb, filter, plug and gas. Even changed the coil. Still won't start. Runs if you put gas or starting fluid in carb. Any thoughts?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: New fuel and no shut off
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Would like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Briggs and Stratton 675 on craftsmen pressure washer model###-##-####
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
10/16/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Have you checked to make sure you are getting a good, steady flow of fuel, from your fuel tank, to your carburetor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
line is clear
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any other thoughts?

Thanks for your reply. If your engine will only run briefly, if you spray starting fluid directly into your carburetor, then it is very likely that your carburetor is at fault, although it is new.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would be the issue?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Or could be the issue. I cleaned before I installed to make sure all clear.

The main jet could still be clogged. The screw that secures your fuel bowl to your carburetor, is your main jet. It has three small holes in it. Did you clean these holes?

The images shows the holes in your bowl bolt ...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all clear I will double check

Use a small wire to clean these holes.

Also, clean the hole in the center of your carburetor, where your main jet screws into.

You can use a welding tip cleaner to clean this area, due to hole being larger.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cleaned both. Still not starting.

Did you replace the gasket between your carburetor and your intake manifold?

How old is your engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gasket is new and engine is roughly 10 years old. Only use about twice a year.

I am lead to believe that your carburetor is the problem. Another possibility is your intake valve may not be properly sealing.

Have you checked to see if your fuel cap is venting?

After you removed the fuel bowl from your new carburetor, did you notice any sediments in your fuel bowl?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not checked the cap. I will try that. I have not pulled the head to check valves or Pistons. will that slow fuel flow?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel in bowl looked clean, no sediment.

If your fuel cap is not properly venting, it can restrict your fuel flow to your carburetor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could new plug be faulty. Not much spark. And just checked gap.

I do not believe your spark plug is the issue. If it was causing our problem, the starting fluid would not cause your engine to start up briefly. Keep in mind that an engine needs three things in order to run. Fuel, Spark, and Compression.

Our problem is likely fuel or compression, rather than spark.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did do a simple compression check with finger over plug hole. Don't have compression gauge to get exact.

I have purchased new carburetors that were bad straight from the box.

Carburetors are tested at the factory, and sometimes all fuel is not completely drained, or evaporated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I keep question open. 10:00 here going in house will work on more tomorrow.

The residual fuel will eventually turn stale and cause carburetor issues, clogged jets and fuel passages. Yes, there is not a time limit on your question. We can continue tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the information. I will try more tomorrow. If anything else I will continue.

You are very welcome!

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician