Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

As I was turning off my Cub Cadet 2186 tractor I pulled the

Customer Question

As I was turning off my Cub Cadet 2186 tractor I pulled the PTO switch - now the PTO / blades will not engage ? Background - I replaced the clutch about 15 hours ago, this summer...
I checked the wiring connection to the clutch-it's ok ... now what else to test and how to ?
Thank you !!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Did you pull the pto switch to engage the bade or turn them off when shutting it off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to engage the blades to assist with shutting off the engine - I know I won't do it again - I was because the engine would backfire on occasion. ...
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
When you had the brake locked did you try to start it ???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
brake pushed or locked - the engine won't start unless brake is pushed in to start engine is that what you mean -? I also changed fuses previously ...
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
It should have a way to lock the brake , so it stays down , lock it and see if it starts . Dead the mower shut off with the blades running ?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Does it have ights or the dash meter when the key is turned
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dash and lights work - engine always started it just will not engage PTO blades ?? how do I test ohms / continuity on clutch what should reading be ?? thanks !
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Sorry mt last response is to another question, sorry . Have you tested the switch with a multimeter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know what I did but now it works ! ☘�� ���� ��
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It could be the switch itself , if it keeps doing it I'd look at the switch