Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Vanguard 16 hp twin starts only with choke pulled. Bogs down

Customer Question

Vanguard 16 hp twin starts only with choke pulled. Bogs down when choke is released. I was told when the choke is on gas is diverted around carburator jets and when released runs thru carb system to continue running. How much breakdown is needed to acces the carb bowl and drain?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes , fuel in tank , spark plugs are clean, shut-off is on.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I do,,,
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Machine runs well only with choke, I guess the carb is gummed-up.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Can you get the model and type numbers from your engine for me? Is your engine a vertical shaft, or is it a horizontal shaft engine? With this information, I can pull up a diagram of your engine, and better assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you remove your air filter, and your air filter hosing assembly, you will have access to your carburetor. There is four (4) screws in the upper cover on your carburetor. Remove this cover, and this will give you access to your fuel bowl, needle and seat, jets, etc. Many times this carburetor can be cleaned, without you having to remove it from your intake manifold.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, I'll get the model and type numbers from my engine. It is vertical engine on a DR. Chipper shredder.I'll get back ASAP.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Donald Barrett here with the 16HP specs.
Vanguard DR. Chipper Shredder, 16HP V-TWIN, Model: 303447, Type 1433E1, Code: 04053111.
Engine starts with choke on (only), will not or cuts off when choke lever is switched to slow or fast normal speeds.
Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Thanks for these numbers. I do believe your carburetor needs to be cleaned. Below you will see a diagram of your carburetor.

Carburetor - Click Here

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

Many times, you can successfully clean this type carburetor, without removing it from your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 12 months ago.

As mentioned above: If you remove your air filter, and your air filter hosing assembly, you will have access to your carburetor. There are four (4) screws in the upper cover on your carburetor. Remove this cover, and this will give you access to your fuel bowl, needle and seat, jets, etc.