Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I bought a used All-Pro Pro Series Torpedo Heater. When I

plug it in turn it...
I bought a used All-Pro Pro Series Torpedo Heater. When I plug it in turn it on and turn the The thermostat up the start run light starts blinking and it sounds like it wants to start but then a big flame comes out the front and white smoke comes out the back and front as seen in my picture. What is wrong and how do I fix it? Model 200T
Answered in 1 day by:
10/12/2016
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the air pressure setting is off causing poor fuel delivery to the burner assembly which is causing very poor burn and the sensor kicks the unit off which in turn produces the white smoke out the back of the unit.

I do not see a picture included. Can you attach your picture? Do you have a pressure gauge with an 1/8" fitting that you can use in order to test or check the pressure on the unit?

After seeing your picture it looks like this could be a matter of the motor not turning as fast as it should as well. That would explain the big flame and the smoke out of the back.

The gauge is a basic pressure gauge that would have to be capable of reading pressures between 3-10 PSI accurately. You can sometimes find them with a 1/4" fitting and then reduce it from there to make it work.

It would go in the back of the unit. If you look at the back you will see the air filter housing, on that housing there is a plug that can be removed and you would install the gauge there.

You may find this odd but I have that exact same unit.

I am sending you pictures of where you will find the spot to test it.

You will need to remove the black louver on the rear of the machine. It has one screw in the top center and then you can pull it out to gain access to the air filter housing.

Look at the air filter housing, you will see two yellow plugs, the one to the left is the one that you want to remove and install the gauge in to test the pressure. If you need to adjust the pressure you will use the right one to raise or lower the pressure by turning it with a screwdriver.

You may also take a close look at the right one to make certain that it is open, it should be hollow in the center. Sometimes mud-dobbers like to build nest in them and stop them up.

cb95ae32-e128-48a3-8040-...jpgcb95ae3...jpg5d8508ae-a0ee-4955-8e2d-...jpg5d8508a...jpg892d9244-9df8-4f87-a3ff-...jpg892d924...jpg6a39912c-07c8-48d9-bcf4-...jpg6a39912...jpg
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you send me a link on eBay to purchase the test gauge I need?

I can only find one on Ebay that actually fits what you would want in order to test the machine. I am including a link to it with this comment.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kerosene-Heater-Low-Pressure-Test-Gauge-12367-/291407012738?hash=item43d9362382:g:hTAAAOSwEeFVBIPw

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician