Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a simplicity 23HP Kohler engine and the PTO button

Customer Question

I have a simplicity 23HP Kohler engine and the PTO button will not engage the mower
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I bought it 6 years ago. Simplicity Regents 2500 series Model #(###) ###-####with 23 HP kohler engine and 46" mower deck
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i could yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: jut that it will not engage the mower
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light , to see if the electric clutch is getting voltage with engine OFF and key on and brakes locked and pto switch on? The pto clutch should click . If it does, pto clutch should be ok. If it has voltage and does not click, the clutch has failed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I unplugged the seat sensor and tried to pull the PTO engage button and it will shut off the lawn mower immediately so there is power to this switch.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

But does the pto clutch click the magnet? trying to determine if the clutch is good! Or take two jumper wires direct from battery t the electric clutch, to see if magnet will click in. All done with key OFF>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the magnet is clicking.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK< so clutch is ok! Do you have 12 volts to the pto switch?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I see nothing but the pto switch and the electric clutch in he pto circuit, no relay for pto.