Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 6.5 mower. It has a plastic cover on the side where

Customer Question
I have a 6.5 mower...
I have a 6.5 mower. It has a plastic cover on the side where you can attach a part to let the grass out the side. Unfortunately it came off, though I still have the spring and dowel that holds it on. Can't seem to figure out how to get it attached again.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/10/2016
Technician: Bill McCusker, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic

Hello welcome to just welcome.. My name is Bill..

What is the model of the mower you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
serial number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

we are talking about putting the mulch plug on the side correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't seen to get the spring to stay in while inserting the dowel....must have wrong position

Im gonna send you a video this may help you its very easy to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYaKYwVUW0c

ok idk if the video i sent you will help.. Let me check your pictures..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Am I missing a piece?

i did leave you a message on the number is ***** in the picture

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did not get your message. Please resend, thanks

ok give me a min to explain it to you..

Right now you have the pin in the mulch plug..

you have to remove the pin from the mulch plug but leave the spring where it is..

put the mulch plug to the mower with the mulch plug up.. work the pin in from one side when the pin get close to the spring you have to wind the spring around it will be tough then push the pin through the spring and to the other side..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That winding Seems to be the issue.....is there a trick to it? Any hint would help

no trick maybe a pair of pliers

i do have a last min thought.. is the spring new and the original part?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It all is original to my knowledge. My parents bought it new

The only other thought i had was the spring might be broken

i hope this helped?

if this answered your question please accept the answer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
William, the spring does not look broken but unsure. If you had a pic of how it is mounted that would help. Otherwise I can go to a local dealer and have them figure it out. Thanks for you time

can you take a pic of just the spring alone?

I dont have a pic on hand i might have on at the shop and will be there tomorrow. So i will Opt out and you are more then welcomed to close the transaction if you are going to a shop tomorrow..I wish you will sorry we couldnt solve your issuse

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Your picture ending in 138, is the upper hinge where the pin goes through Lay the flap upside down so you can see where the two ears on the flap attach to the upper ears. Then remove the pin, and hold the spring so its one ear of spring goes in the slot showing through the flap. Slip in the pin and through the aping as you insert the pin, into the last ear. The pin should be pressed into place and stay in position, holding aping under tension and keeping the flap in the up position. Te video is of a similar type mower, but not the same as the craftsman.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Curtis. I will look at it again tomorrow. I see where flat end of the spring goes thru the flap. But unsure where the other goes....if I just put the pin back in and reassemble there is no tension keeping the flap down

The spring has to be in the upper flap and tensioned as you slip the pin through the spring.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right, I have the position as I goes thru the flap right, but the tension has to keep the flap closed, so how do you put tension on the spring, ie pliers? To keep it shut?

I assume you have this age from the owners manual.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That looks like the one. Seems to show the hooked end laying on the Mower, but that won't keep the flap closed. Sorry, I'm mechanically inclined but missing this one

The spring pushes against the second flap. you can just see the spring in the second picture, showing the lower flap. Hold the spring end up, as you slip in the lower flap!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll try that tomorrow.
Thanks

OK> Thanks!

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician