Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My ridged generator 6800 keeps tripping the gfci after five

Customer Question

my ridged generator 6800 keeps tripping the gfci after five minites of running. I have to continually reset the button
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 3yrears old. Ridgid 8600
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

GFI is the ground fault indicator, which trips when it detects a fault in the ground circuit it is plugged into. What do you have for a grounding of generator to the ground of circuit? Do you use a ground bar, driven into the ground and attached to frame of generator? The GFi trips when it detects fault, can be a plug that has moisture in it or a slight drain to ground.