JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

Have craftsman gas mower mo.no. 917387256 it will start but

Customer Question

have craftsman gas mower mo.no.###-##-#### it will start but stalls out after a few sec. after starting. whats the problem
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 10 months ago.

If it will start and but dies off with-in seconds, it is the carb. You have a clogged jet that is not letting the carb pull its own fuel. Will need to remove the carb and clean internals. If this is a Briggs engine, and has the bolt on the bottom of the carb bowl with holes in it, this is your main jet for it, and can be repaired just by removing this bolt, cleaning through all the hoes on the bolt. use a bread tie or thin wire to run through the holes to ensure they are clear of debris.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
jon I am new at this can you send a video showing how its done
Expert:  JON replied 10 months ago.

Do you know what type of engine you have?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
jon lable on machine just states sears 4.0 hsp
Expert:  JON replied 10 months ago.

is the carb mounted on top of the fuel tank. metal fuel tank? what does your air filter look like? FOAM? SQUARE SHAPE? COLOR?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
carb is mounted on side air filter is metal also mounted on side
Expert:  JON replied 10 months ago.

does you engine look like this one in the pic?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no jon quite different
Expert:  JON replied 10 months ago.

4.0 hp engine can be briggs engine or a Tecumseh engine. I will send a video of cleaning a Tecumseh carb also if needed