Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 15000W generac that wont start it has new battery,

Customer Question
I have a 15000W generac...
I have a 15000W generac that wont start it has new battery
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes, fresh fuel, open valve it cranks for 5 seconds then clicks clik click click
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: i do i am in FL and we have a hurricane approaching
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: is it the strater or solenoid?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/5/2016
Technician: Bill McCusker, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic
Hello welcome to just answers. My name is***** maybe a solenoid. However it does turn over for a few seconds right?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does crank for a few seconds then clicks
Do you have a volt meter to do a few checks?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I don't
We need to figure out if 12volts are getting to the starter.. From what u are telling me it sounds like it is loosing volts to the starter. 9out of 10 times from what you described it sounds like a battery.. However you said the battery is new so we need to know where we are loosing volts.. And doing a few test with a meter would help figure this out..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I even tried to use jumper cables from car and still only clicking

is the solenoid apart of the starter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Attached is picture

Ok this might be a bit in depth so please bare with me.

What you have is a starter solenoid. What that mean is the solenoid is apart of the starter. Normally the click you are hearing is the solenoid trying to connect.. If you look at the solenoid like a switch what you hear is the switch trying to connect.

So here is where knowing some info will be able to help me pinpoint it for you.. if you look at your pic the blue wire that is going to just to solenoid, that wire should have 12 volts and its job is to active the solenoid.. If the solenoid is bad it will just click but you will have 12 volts to that wire... however if the voltage is low to the solenoid it will also just click.. this is why i asked if you had a volt meter.

Here is a few things you could do.. you could replace the solenoid however the cost of the solenoid is near the price of a starter.. So replacing the starter would be the best thing in this case.. however it could be explensive. also if you replace the starter and the problem still is there.. from there we would have to figure out where in the wire harness you are lossing voltage. I hope this helps.

if this answered your question please accept the answer

Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker
Bill McCusker, Mechanic