Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Dyt 4000. &S Intel plus 18.5 ogv. I was cutting lawn. I

Customer Question
Dyt 4000. B&S Intel plus...
Dyt 4000. B&S Intel plus 18.5 ogv. I was cutting lawn. I turned off mower to empty bags. Got back on it wouldn't start. I changed spark plug. I just texted the spark and no spark. Could this be a bad coil?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/4/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. It could be but I'm leaning more towards a safety switch grounding it . Try locking the parking brake and see if it will fire up
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think there is a parking brake

Do you have a lever to lock the brake down ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idk. Where would it be located?
When you put the foot brake down isn't there a lever to lock the foot brake down ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not by the tractor I'll have to look tomorrow
Ok sounds good
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Found the brake lock. Locked it down and tried to start and nothing. no spark

Ok , the one way to test the coil is remove the ending cover , and there will be a ground wire attached to the coil , unhook it and test for spark. If you still have no spark it's the coil

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried putting starting fluid into the carb. The engine fired up then quit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sprayed it into the air intake

You have spark if it fired then quit .

The problem sounds fuel related

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed the fuel pump. Still won't start.

Is it starting up and shutting off with starting fluid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I took the fuel pump a few days ago gasoline was leaking out of it. I put the pump back on, changed the ignition coil. Got it started with starter fluid. Then today I changed the fuel pump but when I took old fuel pump off no gas leaked this time. Idk if that means anything

It shold only pump when the engine is cranking

If you remove the fuel lin from the carburetor, put it in a metal can and and crank the engine over and see if it's putting out gas

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nope bone dry.

Ok does the gas cap on or off make any difference ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No no difference
Does it do it with both pumps?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've tried both
Neither one is putting out fuel ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea neither one
Ok I think the best thing to do is check the vaccum pressure from the line going to the fuel pump
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh great and how do I do that

Ok you have 3 lines going to the fuel pump , one is from the gas tank, the other from the crankcase and is the vaccum line. , the other goes to the carburetor. First pull the one going to the gas tank and make sure your getting fuel to the pump

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
gas is coming from the tank to the pump
Ok the other line going from the engine to the pump should create a vaccum when cranked over
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not. No gas is coming from that line into the carb
Ok , not the line going from the pump to the carburetor, but the other line from the engine , that's what creates vaccum , if you get no vaccum off that line when cranking the engine then it could be the valves need adjusted , or the push rods being loose
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There's 3 tubes hooked to the pump. One from the tank. One to the carb and one to the the oil dip stick. Then there is a 4th little tube that goes from the carb to I think the engine... So is it the little one (#4 not connected to the fuel pump) or the one to the dip stick
The one to the dip stick should create vaccum pressure
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I guess I'll have to have someone come do that for me to
Did it just die while running mid use ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok here's where we stand. I figured out that I put the new fuel pump on wrong. Once I corrected that it started right up. That's the good news. Bad news is after about 5 seconds it started smoking real bad and quit. Now I can get it started but it runs very weak almost like it's not getting power. Does that for about 10 secs then quits
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No more smoke tho so that was probably burning oil as I took the head cover off and was messing around a bit in there pretending I knew what I was doing but obviously not
Ok , can you check your oil and tell me if it's thin or smells like gas
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so. There's a "motor" smell to it but I don't think its gas per se.. I put the oil on my fingers and after I wiped it off there in no smell so I'm guessing no gas is mixed in
it stopped smoking but is running low idle right ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is correct. Low idle even tho it's full throttle. Starts for about 5-10 secs then dies
Have you pulled the carburetoror and thoroughly cleaned it ?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. But it was running fine until the fuel pump went. I was messing around with the valves a few days ago. Could that be it?
I would recheck the valve clearance . Do you have the model, type and code off the engine ?

On the engine itself , on the ohv cone or head it should have the model, type and code on it

Hi just wondering if you got a chance to check the valve clearance and clean the carburetor ?

Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician