Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

No ignition on my JD X100. It's nice & clean w/new battery,

Customer Question

Hi. No ignition on my JD X100. It's nice & clean w/new battery, oil level is good. Engine stopped in middle of mowing. Keeps cranking but no ignition. New spark plug didn't do it. Can it be Ignition switch? fuel filter? What else?
Thanks!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like to confirm the brand of your engine. I do believe your engine is a Briggs and Stratton.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or if it is ignition related. If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start right up and run briefly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Donald. thanks for trying to help. First Chase had rejected the payment thinking that the charge was a fraud. it took me a while but I straightened it out now. However it's now dark in the east coast & I just got home.
Yes the engine is a Briggs and Stratton. I don't have a can of carburetor cleaner. I can buy one tomorrow or Wednsday, however I need to know where exactly to spray. can you pls send a picture or a link to where to spray?
Also, when I find time to do, we can talk on the phone. Should I call you? what's your number? what's the timezone?
Looking forward, Thx, Ray
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ray. I do apologize for the delay in responding to you. We can continue on this chat page if you like. There is an additional fee for phone calls. I do believe we can figure this out, without you paying additional for a phone call, unless you prefer a phone call.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

To be more specific, I will need the model and type numbers from your engine. These numbers are located on the metal valve cover, that has OHV stamped into it.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will remove your air filter cover, and your air filter, then spray the carburetor cleaner into the round opening, you will see, after you have removed your air filter cover. Just spray a small burst into the opening. This will help to determine if your carburetor is at fault, or if your ignition is at fault.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks again!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thx Don
I'll get engine info
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Donald, it's running!
I did some search & troubleshooting & the gas tank cap was clogged. However it has not been running smooth.
It's a john Deere LA 100, B & S 31 engine. Production ID is GX0100A040401 Model 0100A. I have 2 questions:
1. I bought a can of Carb & throttle spray. I like to clean the carbonator. Pls help me on this.
2; I like to take the fuel filter out & clean it. Pls tell me the best way.
Thx, Ray
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ray. I am back with you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your engine has two carburetors available. One is a Walbro brand, and the other one is a Nikki brand. We need to determine which one you have.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

After we determine which carburetor you have, I can be more specific with assisting you with cleaning your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your fuel filter is an inline filter. If you slide your hose clamps back, you will be able to remove your fuel filter, from your fuel hose. You can purchase a suitable fuel filter, from any small engine repair shop.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Also, shine a flashlight into your fuel tank, to check for sediments, or for debris that may have fallen from your fuel cap.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thx. I'll try to determine the carb type. JD shop is too far from me. I may buy a filter from Sears. Will chk the tank & will flush hoses before I put back filter. Ok?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome!