Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 15k unit. There is a problem with the starter

Customer Question

I have a 15k unit. There is a problem with the starter ignition. The relay clicks on/off quickly then repeats when trying to start and all 4 reds start flashing. Voltage to starter wire (blue) varies 1 to 9 volts . Checked starter ok. Battery voltage 13 volts. It may be a relay or circuit problem. Please Advise
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does the battery voltage drop at all when you engage start? Typically there is no relay between starter switch and starter solenoid, and the low voltage is the reason the solenoid is not closing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No drop there, but I checked the Generac starter contactor relay power supply voltage to wire 56 and have low voltage same as the starter fire wire.

So you need a new relay.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No the voltage coming to the relay is bad. This unit has a circuit board for ignition.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Voltage is available but too low and sporadic when starting. It has an automatic ignition and manual ignition switch connected to a circuit board.

If you have 12 volts to the relay on the power side, to solenoid, and t has little output, the relay is not passing the voltage, take a jumper wire bypassing the relay and see if the starter engages.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the starter is fine when this is done

Replace the relay!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the voltagecoming to the relay is low
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the circuit board has 4 red flashing lights

OK< I had asked if voltage was good to the relay, so it is not, trace the wires back, the flashing lights are showing low voltage, where is battery voltage lost?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not sure, but suspect the ignition control circuit board. It clicks on and off while a manual start switch is applied. Voltage is low and varies with each click.

Do you have 12 volts to it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Probably, but not sure how to check it.

probe the wires , it has to have power wire from battery source, and low voltage may be from a bad fuse or fuse holder not passing full battery voltage to the control.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
checked voltage around fuses and was 13.8 volts

OK< let me opt out, maybe someone else can figure it out. Sorry. Please do not respond to me or it locks the question to me.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok