Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

How big of portable generator I need to run this air

How big of portable generator I need to run this air compressor or 180 might welder 230/240 volts please help I bought 7000 running it didn't work to run this compressor see pictures

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

A 22 amp rating on the compreser motor should have easily ran off of a 7000 watt generator! Did generator die or did compressor motor not start?

Air compressor is even less that the first motor shown, at 17 amps.?

A 10KW generator will start both at the same time!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It turned a bit then generator would die. I have 3 wire that I hooked to 4 wire plug on generator

I'm not sure how you wired it, but by all indications, the generator, if working correctly, will run both units, it would be marginal if both were started at same time.

I see question is still open, please use 5 star rating to close.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't start it unless I take the Supply tube off then it starts fine n keep running without problem but once it's off because full air then it won't start unless I take off supply line again n once start I can hook back in.

You have a compressor that has starting problem, not too small a generator.

Check compressor unloader valve or check valve , loading the compressor for starting.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
But it starts normal when plugged into wall outlet

Compressor is rated at much less than the generator is rated at! Either the generator is not doing what it is rated, or the compressor is pulling too many amps. From what you say, it has to be the generator!