Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a riding mower model # BG10229 that moves very slowly

Customer Question

I have a Scott riding mower model # BG10229 that moves very slowly forward and backward. I have checked the belt and pulley and they seam to be ok and in place, however it makes a lot of noise when you try to move forward and backward. The belt was replaced in 2015. However it is acting the same way it did when the belt broke last year. What should I looking at next.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Scotts Model #10229 around 2000
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I an aware of. I am lost.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What kind of noise are you getting from it? Is it a whining sound? A squeal? Can you describe the noise for me?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It sounds like it is coming from the rear end, directly under the seat, it is a loud grinding roaring sound. Upon further evaluation it looks like the pulley on top of the rear end is loose or the shaft is worn. It has a fan like attachment on top, which appears to be plastic,and appears to be loose. Not sure how to get into this pulley. Does it require removing the battery and the plate under the battery.

You may be able to gain access to it that way however most of the time it requires that the transmission be removed from the machine in order to make this type of repair. Seldom is there enough room to work without removing the transmission from the machine.

This would explain a loss of drive and the noise that you are hearing.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If this is the problem, can you tell me an average cost of having a repairman do this?

If I were doing it in my shop it would cost somewhere around 100.00 - 110.00, but I know that shops in other areas may be charging more than what I do per hour here. It is a job that will require approximately 1 1/2 hours labor to do plus whatever parts that may need to be replaced. If you have to replace the pulley you can figure around 35 - 40 for it and the rest would be labor. You can figure it for your area if you know how much the shops there normally charge per hour to do repairs.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is too late in the day for me to start on this, I will probably attempt something in the morning, may contact you then.

No problem, I will be away early in the morning for a meeting otherwise I will comment as soon as I am able.