Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 25 hp Kohler engine on a great dane lawn which they

Customer Question

I have a 25 hp Kohler engine on a great dane lawn which they are no longer in business and the engine lays flat flat. Off of some pictures I've found on the internet I believe it's a CV730-3136 Command Pro Series. When the blades are engaged it's does have the power to move also, it like it's unable to keep the rpm's it needs to do both. When this first started I was able to choke it out til it almost died and it would come back and do as it should. That started working less and less. Thinking it was fuel delivery problem I replaced the fuel lines washed out the tank and had the carburetor rebuilt. It almost mowed my hole yard [2 1/2 to 3 hrs to mow] before it started with the same problems. Now it won't do much besides move it's self around. Had a local shop check it out but they don't deal with them and was busy enough they didn't want to mess with it. A guy there did kinda check it out and said he thought it was the spark advance module. When it goes it's a mowing machine. Any help on ideas of the problem would be great. Thanks Craig
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

When it is acting up, run a cylinder test. Loosen the spark plugs and with it idling, remove one wire at a time and see if engine will continue to run, If engine dies when one wire is removed the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark, and if o spark you need te new coil. And with Kohler, they recommend replacing both coils at same time.

I see question is still open, did you get to check the cylinders?