Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 17hp FC540V. Replaced head and pulled camshaft. ACR

Customer Question

I have a 17hp FC540V. Replaced head and pulled camshaft. ACR appears ok. Compression test 175. Engine overheats, white smoke and stalls.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: 25 yrs No
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

How long does the engine take to overheat? Did you get the camshaft and crankshaft gears in correct time when you installed the camshaft? Was camshaft replaced?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is this water cooled version or air cooled?