Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a Cub Cadet SLT 1550. Some kids stole it one night

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet SLT 1550. Some kids stole it one night and pushed it into a creek. Cleaned it up, changed the oil, etc... Ran fine for about a month, now it won't start. Don't know if it is related. Key will not engage the starter. Battery is good, bench tested the starter, good. I can use a hot wire from batter to starter and it turns just fine. I suspect it might be a safety switch. I know of three, The seat, the brake and the blade engage switch. How can I test these?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Use a meter to test for continuity of the switches. Most likely it is the seat switch if it is a switch. What happens when you turn the key? Have you tested the solenoid and tried jumping it for starting power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have disconnected the seat safety switch, no effect. I have jumped from the battery to the solenoid connection, and the motor turns over just fine.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

It will turn over just fine or will it start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It didn't start
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The PTO switch has 7 polls, how do I test it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I didn't think it would start, and was only testing the solenoid function. I actually didn't pull choke and try to start, I thought the voltage was actually lower for the solenoid and didn't want to damage it.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

lock brake and try to start machine using the solenoid jump. if it starts, let me know if it turns off by the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it, it will be several minutes
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

not a problem. I am off/on here all day long

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, ran into a little problem. It's been 2 months since I worked on it, and the battery is down. Had a hip replaced and couldn't bend to work on the mower. Anyway, the batter is down some, and the solenoid clicks hard, but the engine will not turn over. I put a charger on it, and it will take a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clicks hard with the jumper from the battery, still nothing from the switch alone.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Fuse is good correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found only 2 fuses, and they were both good. Is there more than 2?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did remove both plugs, to ensure it couldn't possibly be a hydraulic lock.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

2 should be all.

seat switch or ignition switch. can you test the seat switch for continuity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seat Switch is "open" when seated, and "closed" when seat is empty. I disconnected the seat switch leads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can find three safety switches. One on the PTO safety switch cutoff, a brake switch cutoff, and a seat switch cutoff.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

will need to test the other 2 as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok more updated information. Seat Switch, closed - unseated, must be corroded, no continuity, seated, no continuity. I would think this is not a problem, because seated is open.
Had miltimeter in hand, test battery had 12.5 volts, so battery is not down. Double checked the hot terminal on the battery, clean. I do not know how to test the PTO safety switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a passing thought/ question. If the PTO is engaged, engine would not turn over when jumped from battery, but solenoid would click, and key would not engage the starter, because of the safety switch, correct?
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

if you have no continuity then it will not work and the switch needs to be replaced

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

if PTO is engaged, machine will not start either

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seat switch, can you explain. Your explanation doesn't match my understanding of the machine. It is a very simple switch, unseated, the contacts touch, if seated the contacts do not touch. That would tell me it needs to be open to start run, correct?
If there is no continuity when seated, I would think the switch would be in the (ok to start) mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on my statement, above?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jon, are still on the case?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi. , my name is ***** ***** well and welcome to Just Answer , I'm really sorry Jon opted out of your question without telling you , let me review all you have done so we can find out what it could be

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

How many blades does your seat switch have ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The seat switch, is not a normal switch, but rather two connections to the wires, and your description of blades is appropriate. At the point of contact, there is 3 blades. It appears a ground, and one blade for each wire. When unseated, all three contacts are together. When seated, the two wired blades are separated. I didn't see your email (from yesterday) until this morning.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
When the seat button is depressed it should have continuity
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure you understand the seat switch on my mower. Give me a moment, and I will send you a picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I attached a close up picture of the switch. This is the normal position with "seat empty"
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Right , so when you sit on the seat the 2 metal parts touch making connection allowing the coil to produce spark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, just the opposite, when you sit on the seat they are separated, do not touch.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Can you get to the coil on the engine ? , if you disconnect the ground wire from the coil you can check for spark .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a magneto, It doesn't have a coil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you somewhat familiar with a Cub Cadet SLT 1550?