Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Ferris IS1500Z bought new in 2005. I have put a

Customer Question
Honda GXV630 in place of...
I have a Ferris IS1500Z bought new in 2005. I have put a Honda GXV630 in place of the Kawasaki that was in it, also changed out PTO clutch from a Ogura GT2.5 to a Extreme clutch. My problem is that the Honda pushes out 14.7V(15 w/lights on), and the clutch is only rated for 13.2V - 14V. Repower says that Honda is within tolerance. I can build a voltage divider but diodes would have to be rated at 54W-and the same with power resisters. Hope you can help me out Thanks Gary Teter
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 month so far because of bad back and I haven't hooked clutch up because of warranty
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: so far I have done all the work installing
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No that is basically it, everything else is buttoned up and running fine
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
9/5/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hope you can help me with this my electronics very rusty 40 yrs ago

I do believe that 13.2 volts is minimum, and 13.2 volts - 14 volts is what your average voltage should be.

Are you getting a continuous 15 volts with your lights on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry my phone just died
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when lights are on it is continuos and with them of it is 14.7V

Gary, I am almost certain that voltage will not be a problem if you install your new clutch. However, to give you peace of mind, I would call Extreme Outdoor Power Equipment, just to be sure.

I would do this before considering building the voltage divider.

I have used this brand of clutch before, and they do perform well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we they told me if I go over the 14V that would shorten the life of the clutch and if it was over 14.5V poof there goes the clutch

Wow!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ouch is what I said, they don't tell you about these little things

My problem is, I do not have a service manual for Honda engine. I would like to determine what the normal voltage output is for your model engine.

Can you give me a minute to check something for you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't find anything on it, it is a 28v primary output before reg/rect and its a steady 14.7V unloaded
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The regulator/rectifier is a Honda SH748AA but I couldn't find anything on it either

I am not finding anything on your electrical system. If you like, I can opt out, to see if one of our other experts has information relating to our problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
any help at this point would make me happy, Thank you

You are very welcome! Your satisfaction is important to me. Hopefully someone can help. You have a good day. After I opt out, please do not respond to me, because your response will lock your question to me.

Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will try to assist you with this.

The voltage measurements that you have taken are at the engine or voltage regulator, Is this correct?

What I would be more interested in are the voltage measurements at the electric clutch connector. You will have some voltage drop through the switches and wiring so that although the regulator is pushing 14.7 volts out of it you may only be getting 12.5 volts at the clutch connector by the time you pass through the PTO switch and wiring coming back to the clutch. I would take a voltage measurement at the electric clutch connector, I believe that you will find that the reading there is going to be within spec and that you should have no problems with running the system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi John the voltage at the clutch is 14.65V, I have cleaned all terminals within an inch of its life, so that puts me within 5/100 of poof and if I turn on lights it will definitely go poof

I have run into this issue before with the Extreme clutch and never could find a solution other than to go back to the original clutch.

There has to be something with the Extreme clutch that is just not built heavy enough to support the extra voltage. I have never had any of the other clutch manufacturers tell me that their clutch would burn out prematurely if more than 12.5 volts, therefore it makes me think that Extreme has a poor quality clutch if it is that sensitive.

I have no other suggestions for you therefore I will opt out and allow for someone else here to comment.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician