Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I've notice my battery has slowly been draining (replaced

Customer Question

I've notice my battery has slowly been draining (replaced 4/16). To the point where I recharged it and it continues. I'm wondering if the strator has gone bad, that it's not keeping up with enough current to engage the PTO.
I also noticed that when cranked up and running I go engage the PTO or handles to start moving the mower it shuts down.
How can I check strator with out a volt meter ?
Suggestions ?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 11 months ago.

You have to have a voltmeter to check the stator and voltage regulator. A cheap digital voltmeter is less that $10 at retail store or auto supply, and less at Harbor /freight. With voltmeter you test the stator , output , without it hooked to the regulator, Meter on AC volts, and r=engine at least 1/2 throttle, reading needs to be above 28 volts AC. If it is , stator is ok. And plugged back to regulator should have at least 14 volts DC from the regulator to charge the battery,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
So I unplug the three wire prong and test the prong out put @ half throttle.
I gather with the out put not at 26 + the PTO and other safety switches will not operate correctly.

The AV voltage from stator has to be at least 28 volts AC, as the volts is dropped in half, when it is changed by the voltage regulator/rectifier which 28 becomes 14 volts DC.

Without at least 12 volts, the blade clutch drops out and the fuel solenoid in the carburetor will kill the engine.

I see question still open, did stator check good?