Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I already told you and you never replied, I have an older…

Customer Question
I already told you...

I already told you and you never replied

Mechanic's Assistant: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?

I have an older 20kw generac that's only putting out 2 volts. I've disconnected the voltage regulator and put 12v dc to the brushes and the results were the same

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Ring to ring resistance on the rotor is 10 ohms

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The generator was supposedly working fine before I got it but it has sat for some time

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generac 93A 01912 S, the year is 1993

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 2 days by:
9/4/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

What is the serial number of the genset?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
93A 01912 S, it is an industrial 20k generac, natural gas model

Sorry, I only work on a few industrial units, and this is not one of them.

I will opt out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's anyway man
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the wiring diagrams for the engine, control panel, and alternator itself if that would change your mind, I can send them your way

I have been contacted by a moderator, who told me that no one has been able to help you.

As I stated, this is not a unit I am familiar with. I am not certified on H-panel units, and have only worked on a few. I have not ever worked on one like yours.

However, due to the fact that no one else seems interested in helping you, possibly due to the low offer you made, or maybe no one here knows that unit, and the fact that moderator has gone over the top to be nice to me over the years, I am going to do her and you a favor and try to help you.

Please do not be too upset if we can't get to the bottom of this. I will try, but I can't guarantee anything.

Before I can help, though, I need some additional information.

1. What is the serial number of the genset?

2. What voltage and phase is it set up for?

3. Do you know if this unit has a 4 lead stator, or a 12 lead stator?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for replying! I didn't set the amount, I just payed it when the site told me how much...93A 01912 SIt is configured for 120/240And I'm sorry I do not know if it's 4 or 12, would this be the total number of wires coming out of the alternator?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's single phase, there are 2 hot wires and a neutral coming out of the alternator although the controls panel does have a "phase selector switch" it doesn't move from the single phase position

93A 01912 S should be the model number, isn't it?

Is there any chance you can get a good photo of the data plate, and post it here?

A 4 lead stator will have a total of 7 wires coming out of it.

A 12 lead stator will have a total of 15 wires coming out of it.

When referring to the lead count, control wires are not counted - only power wires are.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like a 4 lead. I count a total of 7 not including the 2 wires that go to the brushes.

OK.

At the main circuit breakers, disconnect wires 11 and 44 (only the stator leads).

At the ground bus, disconnect wires 22 and 33.

At the voltage regulator in the control box, disconnect wire 6.

At the DPE breaker in the control box, disconnect wire 2.

Separate and isolate all leads, so they can not touch anything.

Set your meter to ohms, on the lowest scale possible, and test across the following points:

Wire 11 to 22

Wire 11 to 33

Wire 11 to 2

Wire 11 to ground

Wire 22 to wire 2

Wire 22 to ground

wire 33 to 44

Wire 33 to ground

Wire 2 to 6

Wire 2 to ground

What readings do you get on all these?

I would also like to to again ohm across the slip rings, just to verify your original reading.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry for the delay I've been away from the machine.11 to 22 is .2 ohms11 to 33 is open loop11 to 2 is open loop11 to ground is open loop22 to 2 is open loop22 to ground is open loop33 to 44 is .1 ohms33 to ground is open loop2 to 6 is .7 ohms2 to ground is open loopRings lowest measurement was 8.8

The 8 - 10 ohms across the slip rings seems low to me. The stator readings all look good.

Let me try again to get the specs on that rotor. I am having trouble getting them, because as I stated, I am not certified on that unit, and Generac doesn't want to give out that info to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can give you the email of the guy I got the diagrams from, it took me a lot of phone calls to find someone who knew anything about it and I think I ended up at southeastern power suppliers or something like that but I still have his email

Check the gen end of your unit. Is there another tag on it anywhere that lists the alternator ID and any specs?

Also, coming out of the stator, there is a wire #5. Trace it down. Is it connected to a small device on the alternator, or is it terminated in a wire nut?

Yes - that is the tag I needed.

Let me do some more research on this one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Alright thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No luck?

Sorry, I never got notified that you had replied.

And I lost the link to this thread.

Have you gotten anywhere with this, or are you still working on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I haven't I'm an automotive mechanic but I'll admit my knowledge of AC electricity is primitive at best.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What about the rotor reading? Where should I go.from here?

I have contacted Generac directly, and they said they couldn't help me, and passed me off to our local industrial distributor. I have worked with 2 people from there, but your unit is too old, and they can't get any info on it.

You stated earlier that you got 10 ohms across the slip rings.

I would like you to install the brush block, and test from brush to brush. What resistance do you get there?

When you jumped 12V directly to the brushes, what did you use as a power source, and where did you run the ground to?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used a jump box and just connected positive lead to the red brush wire and the negative lead to the black brush wire
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get you a resistance reading in a few

Ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From brush lead to brush lead I'm reading 1.3k ohms, I didn't notice this before
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
From negative lead to brush is .3 ohms but from negative lead to ring is .6k ohms, the positive is nearly the same, the loss is in the brush to ring connection
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just spun the generator over and the resistance dropped significantly, lead to lead is now 27 ohms
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Spun again and dropped to 17 ohms so I guess that excessive resistance was from sitting?

You may have contaminated brushes, but most likely have dirty slip rings.

Clean the rings and try it again.

Resistance through the brushes should be the same as resistance across the slip rings.

Maybe dirty rings is all the problem there has been.

Let me know what happens.

Have you tried this yet?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician