Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Engine fills with gas I've replaced the float, seat and

Customer Question

engine fills with gas I've replaced the float, seat and needle valve then I replaced the whole carburetor and it still fills with gas
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. What type of engine do you have ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Briggs&stratten 17.5 hp(###) ###-####e1
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok you changed the oil each time correct ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the last time I changed the oil was after I opened the gas valve started the engine drove it maybe 20yards then I shut it off checked the oil it was fine when I tried to start it it wouldn't start I put a charger on it and pulled the spark plug and found the chamber full of gas all in less than 10 minutes
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Yes something is wrong with the carburetor, even if it's the new one it's bypassing gas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Have you removed the carb , drained the bowl , and then blow into the gas line when it's right side up , you should be able to blow in it , then flip it upside down and try again and you shouldn't be able to blow into it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That's how I test it , go into a quiet room etc , most times its just a little hiss

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

If you can blow in it with the carb upside down , then the needle and inlet valve aren't sealing

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi did you get a chance to test the carburetor?