Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I had just started cutting grass & motor stopped running

Customer Question

hi i had just started cutting grass & motor stopped running like it was out of gas so i replaced the fuel pump still did not start but i am getting gas coming out of the fuel pump took breather off & put gas in carburetor & it will run but as soon as it burned that gas will cut out again any ideas thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Jimmy, what brand is your engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you are getting gas to your carburetor, but your engine will not run, I would check the fuel shut off solenoid on your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Your fuel shut off solenoid should click each time you cycle your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger that must retract, when your ignition switch is on, to allow fuel to flow within your carburetor. Sometimes this part will fail either before, or after it reaches full operating temperature.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check & replace it ?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Listen to see if it clicks as you turn your switch on and off.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If your fuel solenoid is ok, then it is likely that you will need to clean your carburetor.