Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a cub cadet 2140 with an Onan 140 engine. I have the

Customer Question
low oil pressure shut off...
I have a cub cadet 2140 with an Onan 140 engine. I have the low oil pressure shut off disconnected and the wire to my ignition coil disconnected. I just installed a new ignition coil. The spark plug is also newer. I have a half tank of gas. But I'm still not sparking. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/28/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Here is the service manual for the engine, link above. But if you have the kill wires unplugged from the coil and no spark, it states replace the coil. The coil and the magnet in the flywheel are all that makes the spark. With your new coil, did you gap the coil at .020 per the manual, which is greater than most.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the response. I do believe that the gap is extremely tight. I honestly had a hard time even fitting a business card in between the coil and the magnet. I will attempt to distance the gap this morning. Is there an easy way to accomplish this? I feel like there wasn't much room to move the coil, when installing. Also, there were 2 metal spacers that were in place under or behind the old coil when I removed it. I assumed that they were the spacers on the rear of the coil, where the bolts go into the mounting holes, but do they go below or anything? I can't see the file you sent me (the owners manual) on my phone. Is it only viewable on a computer?Thank you,
Pat

i work only from laptop, not familiar with the new phone tech. But it is on the computer. I will link it just below this again

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, any advice on properly gapping the magnet and coil? I was always under the impression that a business card was to be used. Although, I had a hard time gapping it yesterday, to be honest

Business card is too thin for this one. I use a feeler gage, but maybe two business cards. I would assume there is enough slot in the coil holes to give the needed clearance.? I turn flywheel away from the magnet and then adjust, so magnet does not grasp coil.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Perfect. Thank you, ***** *****'ll let you know how it goes

OK> Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was sure to gap the coil with 2 business cards. I even tried opening it a little further, then a little tighter. I have the shut-off wires (both the one on the coil and the low oil pressure) disconnected, but I'm still not getting a spark. Is there a way to bypass the ignition so that I can clear that possibility as well? Any other tests I can run?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I also disconnected the sensor under the seat, since the seat mounting brackets are damaged. I connected both yellow wires, assuming that's what is necessary to complete the circuit. Is this correct?

All that matters is the coil and the magnet in the flywheel. I assume the magnet is capable of holding a screwdriver , I don't think I have ever seen a bad magnet. So it comes back to the coil. I assume you have tried the old coil again? Was there any voltage going to either of the coil kill wires, which may have damaged the coils?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have yet to try the old coil. To the best of my knowledge, there is only 1 coil kill wire. Am I missing something? Would I test it with a volt meter? If so, what voltage should I see?

Yes, only one wire, I was thinking that oil pressure wire goes on the coil, but it is connected further up. There should be NO voltage to the coil. Test the kill wire with voltmeter.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so I purchased another cub cadet 2000 series mower for parts for $150. It too wasn't firing. I took the new coil and installed it into my "parts" mower and low and behold, it fired-up! Needless to say, I would like to get mine running again too. I ordered another coil, but we can nix the idea that the coil is bad. I am guessing that our issue is possibly elsewhere. My question is, where? I had the oil cut-off disconnected (and connected). I had the coil cut-off disconnected and reconnected. I just can't figure out what may be causing the engine not to fire

Did you try a another spark plug?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have yet to try another plug. I will grab another plug when I put in the new coil. Hopefully that will do it!

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Curtis, I'm sorry for the delay in completing the survey. I am going to give you 5 stars, as you have been extremely helpful. I just hadn't done it, since I was waiting for the new coil that's arriving tomorrow. Is there a way for me to rate you and still get a response If I'm unable to get it started?

Leave the question open until you get the coil, we can go from there. There should be a link in your email to get back here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again, thank you so much

No problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put in the new coil. I properly gapped it. I tested the oil shut off. It had a charge when I turn over the key. I unplugged it and tried to start again, nothing. I added a picture of my spark plug, it's rather new. I checked both fuses. I am not getting a reading on my seat shut off sensor, but I'm guessing the engine wouldn't even turn over without that. If I'm incorrect in that assumption, please let me know! Is there a way to test to see if there is a spark at the plug? I'm going to replace the plug anyhow, but if that doesn't do it, can I check to see if I have a spark? Maybe then I can point the fingers to the fuel delivery?? I'm at a loss!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I sprayed carb cleaner into the carburetor and it fired up for a second. I did this 3 times and am now thinking that it's just not getting fuel. Is there a way to rest that?

You have spark if it fires with carb cleaner. Check the fuel flow to the carburetor , remove the line from carb, and see if you have fuel when cranking. If you do, the fuel is not getting through the carburetor.

Carburetor is covered in the service manual link, I sent earlier in the question. It would need to be cleaned , if you have fuel to it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just removed the fuel line going into the filter. (Picture attached) and I turned it over, but no fuel came out. Is the pump possibly shot? If so, where is it located? I would assume it is beneath the fender in the back by the tank?

Fuel pump is in the line from the tank to the carburetor, and it has to have a pulse line from the crankcase to power the pump. Check the line from the tank, to the pump, as the line from tank may be plugged with debris. see fuel pump above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I removed the line from the pump to the carb and cranked the engine, yet nothing came out. No gas. So you think my line may be clogged between the tank and the filter? Is there a way to clean the line? Should I remove the fender to get at the tank?

What is the part above that you removed the hose from? Is that the carburetor? The center hose in picture is the pulse hose, is it going to the engine crankcase or rocker cover to power the pump. The line on the far right , is it the tank outlet line?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here is a better picture of the setup. The carb is to the right, the pump is to the left. The line going down is the one going back to the tank. The short one goes to the carb. Is it possible that the guy that installed the pump, installed it incorrectly??? It was installed prior to me purchasing the mower. I lowered the fuel line coming from the tank and fuel came out, so I'm assuming that there is no plug in the line?

The line on the front cover, with the breather is the pulse line. It has to go to crankcase. The line going down, to tank, needs to be on the right connection side of the picture. Looks like it is plumbed wrong.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I re-plumbed and she started up!! She smoked quite a bit, as that was likely the first time in a few years. But after running for about a minute, it shut down and now it won't start again! Uggggg!

!! Go back and do the spark, and fuel test again, Maybe the spark plug is just fouled!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just did it again. Started, ran for a few seconds and shut down. Wouldn't start back up

OK> See my last response!

No, that is not bad, and it is dry, making me think that it does not have fuel to cylinder. You may have to go through the carburetor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You think there is an issue with the carb or you think I can clean it?

Do you have spark at the plug? If you do, the problem is the carburetor and usually it can be cleaned to repair.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I test to see if there is a spark?

you can do the carb spray, if it fires, you have spark.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It did fire. So I should take apart the carb and clean it?

You may want to check that the fuel pump is now supplying fuel at the line you removed earlier! Then if you do have fuel flowing to the carburetor, then it needs to be cleaned.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should the fuel flow look like? It's coming out of the line that goes into the carb, but it's not a very heavy flow

1/4 cup in 15 seconds. It does not need much.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll attempt to clean the carb. Any specific way to do it?

No just clean the ports and parts with the spray carb cleaner, and be sure and blow out the needle valve passage back to the inlet connection, to clear any debris from an old fuel line flaking off.

And make you a diagram or picture of the linkage!

.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cleaned, reinstalled and had the same problem. When sprayed with carb cleaner, it fired for a second, then nothing. Now the battery (new battery) is sounding drained, so I have it on the charger. I guess I'll tackle this again in the morning. Any other ideas?

Check the passage from the hose connection t the needle valve, if the hose flakes off, the old hose particles block the needle valve and no fuel gets into the bowl in quantity to keep engine running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, the hose going from the pump to the carb seemed a little small, so I replaced it and lengthened it. Once installed, I turned it over and it fired right up. This time it stayed running a bit longer and there appeared to be something burning near the exhaust and toward the front. I assumed it was dust and such, since it had been sitting for so long. It shut down and now won't turn over. I get nothing when I turn the key. The battery is fully charged and on the charger

It has an ignition fuse, could it have blown the fuse?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It just tried turning over again, but it just won't fire. Both fuses seem good

it turns over, will not start. Back to the old spark, fuel routine. Which is it loosing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I try changing the plug? The fuel pump looks brand new. I wonder if it's an incorrect pump. Would that cause an issue? It's different than the one on my other cub cadet that has the same engine as this one

As long as the fuel pump is supplying fuel to the carburetor, it can look different and still be ok. Spark plug is something simple enough to try. I have seen plugs that do strange things!

plug looks to be fouling from too much fuel. Is the choke opening fully ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It may not be. I'm at Home Depot getting a plug. Not having much luck! I'll check the choke when I get home. It should be a 90 degree angle on the carb when fully opened?

Yes, it would be wide open!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed the plug, but not firing again

That is the exhaust pipe, it will get red hot in just a few seconds, so if it has oil on it, it will smoke and if the muffler is plugged with debris, the gasket at the head could be leaking and blowing out exhaust.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I seem to be back to square 1. It's firing up when I shoot some carb cleaner into the carburetor, but that's it. I'm guessing that you're equally bothered by this! I must say that you've been an incredible help. If I could pay you triple, I would! Thank you so much for sticking in there with me

Has to be fuel problem. If you remove the float bowl, do you get good fuel flow from the needle valve , when the float is down, and float should be down when bow is removed!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I disconnected the bowl and you were correct, no fuel entering the carb. I disconnected the line from the needle valve, nothing coming from the pump. I checked for suction on the opposite end and didn't feel anything. Possibly a bad pump? It looks rather new!

Do you feel a pulse on the line on the front of the pump? If so, is the suction line to the tank vacuum tight and open into the fuel?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was trying and I don't seem to feel anything on the pump

Is the hose open to the crankcase or could it be plugged or off the connection, it basically has to be vacuum tight.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just removed the hose and inspected it. Fully clear. I also checked the fitting at both ends. Both seem clear. Is there a way to test the crankcase (for auction) or the pump (to ensure its working)?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Suction not auction!!

Pressure form the hose will be less than 2 lbs of pressure. Just a slight pressure. the crankcase has to be sealed, oil cap on. You can hold the hose in a glass of water to see if it is moving air when you are cranking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It sucked the water in! Not sure if that's good or bad!

It should be an in and out pulse!

I would say it will pump. Are you sure the suction line from tank is open and is in the fuel and not plugged? If you blow in tank, does fuel come out the hose at fuel pump inlet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's def pulsing in and out. I'm unsure about the suction line. Should I remove the panel on the back near the tank to locate it?

Line is on the fuel pump. You know the pulse line, you know which goes to the carburetor, so the third one is the the tank line, remove it and blow into the tank. Likely there is a filter in this hose, filter may be plugged!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I actually just put a new filter on yesterday. Is it possible that I put it on backwards?!!

It has a right and wrong arrow on it, but I doubt it makes any difference!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hahahahah! I flipped it and it didn't do anything different. I did blow into the line and gas did go back into the tank. Would you like any pictures??

No, I have seen it all! pump can be bad,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll replace the pump and see if that helps. I found a guy getting rid of the same tractor on Craigslist for parts. I'll prob just go grab his for the parts. Do you have a part number for the fuel pump by chance?

They are many , all work the same. Any auto supply or lawn mower shoe keeps the pulse pumps. Or Ebay or Amazon!

You can test it by making up a test line and see if it will suck from a container when cranking.

If it does, there i sa leak in the suction from the tank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh, that's a great idea! I'll try that when I get back home. So if that works, I should replace the line to the tank?

Or check it, do you have a vacuum pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I actually have a spare sump pump. Do you think I could make that work?

No, it needs to be a small hand pump, I use a brake vacuum pump used to bleed brakes at the wheels Harbor Freight!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about a siphon pump?

Might work.

You could just hold finger over one end while you suck on the other!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good call! I'll do that!

OK>Good night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** again, thank you so much for everything.

I will be gone until Wednesday night on road trip. Sorry.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I hope you have a nice, safe trip. And I hope to have some good news that this thing is running when you return!!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I tested the line, I filled her with gas and after blowing out the line, the gas came flying through! I started it up and she fired right away! So she runs when it's just idling with the park brake engaged. As soon as I turn the blades on or put it into gear and release the brake, the engine stalls out. Do I have to make some sort of an adjustment?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, so here is the update (i know you're traveling until Wednesday). I reattached the seat sensor and was able to put it into gear and engage the mower. It drove incredibly well and made quick work of my lawn. However, as u was coming back up the driveway, I noticed a trail of oil...not good! I attached a photo of what I believe to be the source. Any thoughts??
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The leak is bad. Dripping all over
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician