JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have the "Speedztr 42SE". All of a sudden, when I let the

Customer Question

I have the "Speedztr 42SE". All of a sudden, when I let the parking break OFF, the engine dies. It is not the break safety switch. Ideas??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

While sitting on mower with brake pressed, try to engage the blades. let me know if they engage or not. if not, you have a bad seat switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bypassed the seat switch, just to see; and that didn't effect the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Disabled vet with limited funds; can't afford adding additional charges.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

will the blades engage while sitting in park? You also have safety switches on both arms

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blades will engage in park.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

okay, if blades will engage in park, but dies when you try to move, you will need to check the 2 steering switches for "N" and also the brake switch. You stated it wasn't the brake switch though. Does it die when brake is released, or you try to pull in arms?

Have you tested the switches for continuity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does upon brake release or when either arm is pulled in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's "dies".
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

okay. if arms are out and brake released it should still run. with brake on and arms pulled in, it is supposed to die. so if you are releasing the brake with arms out and it dies, then the normal culprit is either the brake switch or seat switch. being as you can engage the blades, the seat switch is good.

What has been done to verify the brake switch is good?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced it with a new one.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Okay, how was the plug in part? check all wires for grounding or melted spots. Check the safety switches for the drive arms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything LOOKS good. Did not check arm switches because they seemed to be doing what they were supposed to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are the brake switch, and steering arm switches, the only safety switches (along with seat switch)??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jon; you still there??
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

yes sorry, line of customers at my counter

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you have a short somewhere in the brake switch wiring. Can you start mower with the arms in and the brake on?

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Give me a moment and let me search a few thing on here..... I will be right back

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With arms out, brake on, blades disengaged, mower fires right up. Take brake off, mower dies.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like everything is working fine except the brake switch or the wires to the brake switch. have you inspected all the wires going to the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not full length. Looks like I'm stuck if I don't find a bad brake wire.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jon; thanks for your help. Sorry I tied you up so long.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

no problem, I am searching the wiring to see if anything else would hold this up. I have to be over looking something

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Only things I see can cause this are the seat switch and brake switch. Sorry, but it all leads back to these two switches. if it was the seat switch though, the blades would not engage