JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

Riding lawn mower model #917288700 how to chesk oil in rear

Customer Question

riding lawn mower model #917288700 how to chesk oil in rear end
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: craftsman model###-##-####
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I just want to check oil in rear gears yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: where is oli fill plug
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible.

Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

This transmission is considered to be a non serviceable unit. there is a plug on the top on most (black cap usually), but there is no checking it.

Let me know if you need anything else as am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can you add oil through that plug on top?
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

you would need a funnel and/or hose to do so. is your leaking?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Not leaking, tractor is slow to respond going forward when you step on the forward pedal...it doesn't seem to go like it used to...would that be lack of oil?
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

Could be belt or pulleys. belt could be worn and slipping or pulleys could be worn. Check belt for loosness, shiney sides, check pulleys for shiney grooves, and also

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also what?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've checked all the belts and pulleys...it just doesn't have the forward power that it used to...it backs up fine...
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

If it is not leaking, the oil is still there and not low or needing any added. These are considered a sealed unit, and non serviceable and usually have no issues. ....

and also for smoothness on the grooves of the pulleys. Sorry it cut me off

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Does it hurt to take that plug out on the top of the rear end...it might have had a small leak in the past...the belts are good and the pulleys are good, so what else could it be?
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

thats really it. Nothing to that drive system. You can remove it and check of course

Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

Are you sure belt is not stretched any. how old is belt?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
If it was the belt, which I don't think it is, would it prevent it from going forward better?
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

yes. forward takes much more to go faster. reverse you go slow anyways, so it doesn't take as much tension

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok will recheck belt thanks see ya
Expert:  JON replied 12 months ago.

Let me know if you need anything else as am here for you. I am here from 8am - 12am most days .

Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this.