Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Kohler courage engine that I just purchased on my

Customer Question
lawnmower. It is not...
I have a Kohler courage engine that I just purchased on my lawnmower. It is not getting fuel as it should. There is some gas in the filter but it is not flowing to the carb. It does however flow if the filter is not connected to the line to carb.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: the engine is brand new to replace old one.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I want to try. I think that I read somewhere that the engine came without a fuel pump. There is a vacuum line closed off on top of the air filter housing>
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the spec number from the engine so that I can better assist you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kohler SV600-3229

Thanks for that information.

Based on the information that you just sent me the engine does have a fuel pump on it. It is a black plastic pump about 2" diameter mounted on the side of the engine just above valve cover. Can you verify this for me? Where did you purchase the engine from?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Purchased from BrandNewEngines on line. The literature stated somewhere that the engine did not have a fuel pump. I don't see a fuel pump. Might it be under the cover?

The place that is capped on the air filter housing is actually for an evaporation system that is only used on newer machines that have to meet the new emission requirements that are mandated by the EPA. If your machine was equipped with this system then there would be a small line that would attach to it and go back to the fuel tank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think that I have a pump then. My old engine is available but 180 miles away. Do I need to get it?

Based on the information provided by BrandNewEngines.com you are correct the engine does not have a fuel pump.

However based on the information provided by Kohler parts lookup it was originally supplied with one. This doesn't really matter as long as the fuel tank is mounted above the carburetor so that fuel will gravity feed into the carburetor.

What was the original engine that you had on the machine?

What kind of machine is this mounted on? How far away is the fuel tank? Is the tank mounted under the seat or down low?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is a replacement for the original engine and a later version of the same model. The fuel tank is below the carb. It is an Ariens mower.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the tank is at the rear of the mower and below the seat.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are we through here?

If the fuel tank is mounted lower than the carburetor then you will have to install a fuel pump in order to get fuel to the carburetor.

Your problem in this case is that the engine that you have isn't equipped with a fuel pump and most likely doesn't have the vacuum capability to operate a fuel pump. Therefore your only option would be to install an electric fuel pump in line between the fuel tank and the carburetor. If you are going to do this you will need to make certain that you install an electric pump that has very low pressure around 3 - 4 PSI if you get higher pressure than that it will over fuel the carburetor and the engine will never run properly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you be specific about the type or brand of pump and where can I get one?

The information that I see from Kohler parts lookup shows one thing but the information shown on the website that you purchased the engine from shows different information. Since the engine didn't come with a pump you won't be able to add a vacuum style pump as they normally have on them because it requires a source to make it operate which is normally a tube that is installed in the crankcase.

You can get many different brands of electric fuel pumps. You can purchase one at your local automotive parts store. Just make certain that it is either preset at 3 - 4 PSI or that it can be adjusted down to that. If not you do not want to install it on this machine.

In my area O'Rielly Auto Parts is the best source, but you can purchase at Autozone, Parts America, Advance Auto, Napa and CarQuest. The electric pump normally will cost around $40.00 and is very easy to install. You will want to either install a separate switch to operate the fuel pump or wire it into your ignition switch so that it only operates or runs when the ignition is turned on.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician