Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I was mowing with my dixie chopper for 1plus hour and then

Customer Question
I was mowing with...
I was mowing with my dixie chopper for 1plus hour and then my motor started to sputter. When I disengaged the blades the engine smoothed out. Every time I engaged the blades and started to cut it sputtered. I just bought new spark plugs and a new fuel filter but haven't had the chance to install yet. what are your suggestions
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: there is fuel in the tank and it has been running fine for months until now. I have not touched the shut-off valves in ages. Possibly the fuel is contaminated thats why I am going to install the new fuel filter.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: the engine is a 19hp kawasaki and the mower is old, maybe 15 years old or more.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/19/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. It sounds like the carburetors main jet may be starting to become obstructed . What happens is it will runnonnwith no load but when it has s load on it then it can't increase rpms to run strong so it bogs down etc

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what do you suggest to correct the obstructed jet? carburetor cleaner into carburetor or?

Yes I would remove and clean the whole carburetor using a carburetor cleaner like gumout

Can you give me the info on the kawasaki engine

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm at work right now but will try it tomorrow. If this does't take care of it can I get back with someone tomorrow?
Sure just reply to your original question. It may have a brass main jet you unscrew to remove , when you get the engine info let me know and we can pull diagrams
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks.
No problem , if it does work please don't forget to rate my service using the stars provided

Hi just wondering if you got a chance to check out the carburetor

Hi just seeing if you ever got a chance to check the carburetor out

Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician