Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a JD425 that runs for about an hour then it stops.

Customer Question

I have a JD425 that runs for about an hour then it stops. The fuel filter is empty of fuel & when I turn on the ignition switch I don't hear the electric fuel pump whine. After an hour or two, the tractor runs again. Would appreciate it very much your opinion on what I have to do. Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just the past two mowings, interval between two mowings about 10 days.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I'm somehow proficient mechanically & electrically. BTW, I already replace the time delay module.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I find the answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already paid $18. Where is my answer?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. So after a hr you do not see any fuel in the filter right ?

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Have you opened the gas cap to make sure it's not causing it to lock the fuel system ? A bad gas cap won't breathe so eventually the fuel runs out and can't flow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fuel in filter. Yes, I opened the gas cap. Still can't start the tractor. I also don't hear the fuel pump whining.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok when it does this carefully remove the fuel line going from the tank to the fuel pump , if there's fuel flow I'd start with the fuel pump
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no voltage going to pump as I checked in connector. So pump can't run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After an hour or so, I turn ignition switch there's whining in pump runs again.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , is there a relay for it , I'm wondering if there is then it may act up once it's hot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, the other thing that I've observed while waiting, the fuel filter gets some trickles of gas & eventually fills up. When it filled up, I try again. If I hear the pump whine then it will start. If I don't hear the pump whine, it doesn't start.
I'm also suspecting the relay. There a PCB near the ignition switch. Is the relay you are referring to in that PCB? If so, which relay? The other problem is that any of the two relays there can't be removed.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to see if there is any removable but if your not getting voltage then it has to be a power issue

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is causing power issue? After waiting a while there's power again & pump whines hence tractor runs again.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Can you test to see if your getting power to the pcb when it stops , if you have power to the board but not the pump then you know it's the pcb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I know is there is green light in PCB. There is light in meters on dash, the tractor cranks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After waiting a while tractor runs again.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Have you tested power to the pcb when it dies ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. What test points do I get the meter across?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Btw, I mentioned the green PCB pilot lamp in PCB lights up.. So there's power in PCB.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

But no power to the pump after a hr or so

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After running the tractor for about an hour, the tractor dies. No power going to the pump.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

So if you look at the last post on this forum it looks like there are relays ,

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1622892/john-deere-445-wont-start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are two relays. Which of the two gets connected to the pump?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm looking, so far I've found this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like there are three relays. Which relay do you think is responsible in supplying power to the fuel pump? Another problem is the relays are not removable.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure, let me opt out see if another technician to see if they have more info . You may want to request Curtis he is really knowledgeable about bigger equipment

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I leave it up to you whoever you think. If Curtis can pinpoint this well & good. This is also driving me nuts. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Here is the link to the tech manual

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/JOHNDEERE425445455.pdf

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Page 372 in the manual link above, shows the fuel pump to get power from the ignition relay. From there,in the manual is the trouble shooting steps to take. But from all I see, the ignition module has to be replaced, as the relay is non serviceable. Here it is as a direct link. If you have not downloaded the manual yet!