Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Setting up the governor on 22hpB&S, yes I messed with

Customer Question
Setting up the governor on...
Setting up the governor on 22hpB&S, yes I messed with it:(... now it was flooding out the cylinders.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/16/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Governor will not cause the cylinders to flood the cylinders. Is the choke flap opening, or is the choke staying closed? Did you adjust the throttle cable or choke link?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not touched the cable or the choke lever

Does the engine run? I not, and cylinders are wet, you have lost spark.??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bit, I will need to fix the governor setting now also
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will not run at all now

Check for spark at the plugs, by removing and grounding the plugs/ I think you have lost spark, and the kill wire to the coils is grounding out the spark.

If it has spark, and does not run, check the valves, this twin engine can have pushrods off!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just check spark, yes... cylinder squirting fuel out of it

I would check the valves, I see pushrods off on this model engine. You would have spark and fuel and compression, but valves will not be opening!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me how to check that easily?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Phone battery is almost dead, will need to follow up once charged up

Remove te two OHV covers and see if all the valves are moving when cranking.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Valves rods are all on rockers. Cleaned up choke spring, throttle linkage... started up, but lack of throttle control. RPM are way high right away.

OK, back to the governor control. You know the governor lever and rod going into the engine. With engine OFF, loosen the governor lever and hold it in the full open position on the carburetor, then turn the governor shaft CCW, till it bottoms, and then tighten the lever bolt to the shaft. Crank engine and be prepared to shut it off it it goes too high. If it does, do adjustment again, but turn the governor shaft CW, and try again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good evening, I'm back at it. I turned the governor shafts full CCW, made a few small adjustments and still runs way fast without throttle control.

I f you hold the governor lever and throttle it manually, do you get movement from the governor ever, push or pull? If not the inner governor parts may be damaged. How did this all start, that you were messing with governor?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The main issue I had was black poof of smoke... did the basic, air and fuel filters. Everything I was reading pointed to the governor

k, if governor has movement, try adjusting it CW.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Moved it CW, still no throttle control
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Moved it CW, still no throttle control.

Do you feel the governor pushing or pulling the governor lever?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The spring pressure yes, rod feels like it moves freely

Governor is a weighted assembly inside the engine, when engine rpm rises it moves out, and pushes the governor inner rod, which moves the external lever. If governor level has no movement from internal parts when engine is reved , it is not working. ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Doesn't seem to have movement from the governor

That is what I thought, the inner parts are broken, and the only way to get it to work is to remove the engine from the frame and remove the sump, to access the governor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is not what I really wanted to hear.... sounds like I will be busy after work tomorrow night.... full engine disassemble to access or just the bottom half?

Just the bottom, to get at the governor and the lever to it.

I see question still open, did you find the governor to be broken?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Awaiting parts , nobody in the area has them in stock.

Dd you take it apart? What did you find?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good evening, we opened up the engine and found the governor broke in many pieces. Ordered and installed the new parts, and the second governor also exploded . Any thoughts of how, why ?

Overspeed? Or the top cap installed wrong, so the weights move too far.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How would I keep it from overspending? the cap was between the weights and the snap ring.

Did it go to overspeed as soon as it started? You have to be prepared and hold the linkage, to keep engine from over-speeding until you get the governor set right. Dd you get a manual showing the governor install?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We used the youtube information, I will make sure not to go into overspeed condition. Read other posting of the stud for the governor backing out . How much stud showing should there be ?

Not sure, but it should bottom out, take a brass punch and hammer and give it a good whack to see if it moves in. I will lock for manual that may give the length showing.

Hear is a manual, shows Generac, but is Briggs Intek, that Generac uses.

No information given on the governor shaft depth.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good morning, do you have the part number to the " crank seal" for my lawn tractor?

Crankshaft seal? flywheel end or drive end? or you ant governor shaft seal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Crank shafts seal, as I was putting the dang bottom back on the seal spring popped out, and it may be easier just to swap out the seal...

The spring can be slipped back into the seal, but the number is ***** #795387 for the sump side.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Thank you. id you find the inner parts of the governor to be ok?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good afternoon Curtis, I finally got a day off. Now continuing on the mower project.i received and installed the governor, and new crank shafts seal. I also bought new spring- governor # 798921, and spring governed idle #691019. My next question is to verify the location. Of each spring.

part 1

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your patience.... now to set the governor again.

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Verification, lift up on throttle, CCW on governor shaft and tighten the nut ?

Are you holding the throttle open at the carburetor manually while you turn the shaft CCW?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
throttle full, and shaft CCW.

OK> Try that and be prepared to shut if off if it has no control!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Started, had no throttle control. I Shut it down early ...

OK< go back an set it with the shaft all the way CW.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Better.... does not over speed. Throttle control is not full range.

Ok, so just make minor adjust. Is throttle cable going full, or can it be moved ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think WE, have it, minor adjustments. But now it doesn't overspeed. Now for the real test, 2 acres of yard... thank you again.

OK! When ready use the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician