Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Have a 2003 Damon Escaper with a 8kw diesel onan that shuts

Customer Question

Have a 2003 Damon Escaper with a 8kw diesel onan that shuts off after about a minute of running. House batteries also keep draining and they were all replaced about 4 months ago. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

What is the model number of the genset?

From the description you have given so far, it sounds like you may not have a genset issue, but rather a power converter issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I found a little more after asking my question last night. I shut everything down to try to charge just the batteries (which are 4 months old but did sit with no power to the rv for a couple months). After about an hour I checked the batteries and one was boiling over and very hot. I disconnected all the batteries and took them to be load tested which showed 3 out of 4 to be around 8v, the boiling one however was the only good one in the bunch. Could the generator issue be due to the batteries not having charge?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Absolutely.

Most Onan RV gensets do not have battery charging capabilities, and rely on the batteries to keep the fuel pump running. No battery, no fuel pump.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?