Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Jd z225 started and ran yesterday I engaged blades and ran

Customer Question
for about 50 feet and...
jd z225 started and ran yesterday I engaged blades and ran for about 50 feet and shut down, restarted numerous times and engaged blades only to shut down, now will not start and run at all neww battery new plug
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: fuel is clean canged fuel filter as well, there is no shut off valve to knowledge ive had this mower for 9 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: at this moment yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: my left foot has an itch that i cant seem to soothe other than that no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/14/2016
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 1 year ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

so it cranks over , but will not start is that correct

did you check if you have spark at the plug ??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It will start for a second with a blast of starter fluid more like its not getting fuel at this point
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
replaced filter (yes it is pointed in the correct direction), blew through line towards tank not blocked there

Hi Thank you for that

what you are describing is a failing fuel pump

P/N is M147560, I suggest you replace that

I hope this helped you

Hi. If this helped you,

please remember to rate my answer 3 or more stars.

If more info is needed, use the reply button -

NOT THE POOR/BAD SERVICE

HI

Just a follow up with you

did my answer help you

let me know,Please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Replaced fuel pump got it to fire up after multiple blasts of starting fluid motor kills as soon as I engaged blades
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will not fire again and too late at this point to mess with it anymore today

Morning

did this sit for a long time,

or did this just happen all of a sudden

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
All of a sudden I use the mower at least once a week

Thank you for that

lets start to make sure you have spark at the plugs

while cranking over

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I've gotten it running I have spark at the plug, the issue seems to arise as i engage the blades

Thank you for that

In your last statement you mentioned that it canks but won't start

so you are saying that it will start and run

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm saying I got it started last night and running for about 10 minutes until I engaged the blades and it killed, I was unable to restart due more to the fact I drained the battery previously

Thank you for that

I will opt-out and post back to the board for another expert to help you

don't reply or rate me as it locks question back to me

Sorry I could not help

Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

From what I have read from previous statements, it will start when sprayed with fluid, but dies when PTO is engaged. Does it run smoothly when just idling? From the sounds of it, the valves are out of adjustment. What engine is on this machine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
18.5 Briggs & Stratton ran fine until Sunday got 25-35 ft with blades engaged and just died
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does the carburetor have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of it? If so we need to make certain that there is voltage getting to this solenoid at all times when the ignition key is turned to the on or run position. Also you can remove the fuel solenoid from the bottom of the carburetor and check to make certain that it is working properly. It sounds like you are running out of fuel which is causing the engine to die, especially since you can get it restarted by spraying with starting fluid.

Does it die as soon as you try to engage the blades? Or do the blades come on and start to run or turn and then the engine die?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Blades do engage but everything shuts down pretty much immediately

What happens if you keep the choke on while engaging the blades? Will the engine continue to run?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Haven't been able to start i past the initial blast of fluid pulled the fuel solenoid from bottom of carb still attached to electrical, plugged carb hole with another bolt and cranked right over dies the minute I disengage parking brake
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Blades will not engage either

So as long as you leave the parking brake engaged or don't try to engage the mower deck the engine will run fine?

This sounds like a seat safety switch issue to me. The seat safety switch is not recognizing that you are present in the seat therefore it tells the rest of the system to kill the engine if the parking brake is released or the mower deck is engaged.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will I bypass safety switch by unplugging and daisy chaining the connection with a wire?

How many wires are coming into the seat switch?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 one black one white

If your switch itself is gray then you will want to jumper these two wires.

If your switch itself is black then just unplug the connector and leave it with no jumper.

Try and see if the machine will continue to run then.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It does as long as the brake is engaged

Even with the seat switch unplugged and bypassed?

Then it has to be a relay in the system that is causing the problem. Depending on the serial number of the machine the relay could be in one of two places. One is in the fuse block with the other fuses on the newer machines and the older machines has a relay on a separate connector from the other fuses.

I am including two diagrams of the wiring that may help you locate your relay.

The first diagram is of the older systems and the second is the newer system.

Sorry those diagrams loaded in the reverse positions.

The first one is the newer system, the second one is the older system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I don't know what that means

There is a serial number break where the wiring changed therefore depending on how old your machine is it will have one or the other of the wiring systems on it. You haven't provided the serial number of the machine for me so I don't know which one you actually have. Both have a relay which sounds like is the problem since we have tried everything else at this point.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm looking for a inline fuse ?

No, not an inline fuse.

It will be a black box about one inch square that you are looking for. It is a relay that works similar to a fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only one I see looks like a connection or plug connecting a front wiring length to another coming from the engine dom# *****?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a 2006 I believe
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm guessing 7 8 9 is the fuse box

7 is the fuse block, 8 & 9 are fuses

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
far I have replaced the plug, the fuel pump, the relay, and the PTO switch its seems as though I'm not getting fuel so in order to start the machine I have to pull the fuel solenoid and plug carb other another bolt, which does allow me to start the mower and it does run however I release the parking break it kills, I engage the control arms it kills and I engage PTO ( which was the only issue in the beginning ) it kills kind of tells me all of my safety switches are working and I bypassed the seat switch as well all of my fuses have been replaced and I have done a pretty thorough inspection of my wires and I don't see any breaks, cuts or places where there have been any arcs . Any ideas ????

Based on the information that you have provided to me. The engine runs good until you either release the parking brake or engage the drive control arms. This tells me that you have a seat safety switch problem that is not recognizing that you are in the seat, it then tells the rest of the system to shut down when you either release the brake or move one of the drive levers from the neutral position.

It has to either be the seat safety switch or a relay going to that seat switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The only way I can start the machine is by pulling the fuel solenoid , it runs but will not allow me to disengage the parking brake without killing, will not allow PTO to engage without killing and if I move control arms from neutral position it kills. As I've stated earlier I've replaced fuel pump. Filter, plug, #24 relay, PTO switch and now the seat switch still does not start in regular manner and does not operate. Any thoughts on valve adjustment? Will this miraculously rectify the initial PTO and subsequent brake and control arm issues

Since it is killing the engine as soon as you move the control arms from neutral, disengage the parking brake or engage the PTO switch it has to be a seat safety switch issue. Either the switch itself or in the wiring coming up to the switch.

Valve adjustments will not correct that issue.

It also sounds like you may have a problem with the fuel solenoid or voltage coming to it, if you have to pull the solenoid in order to get the engine to run. Completely unrelated to the other issue of killing the engine when the controls are moved, brake disengaged or PTO engaged.

Are you completely removing the fuel solenoid from the carburetor in order to get it to run? If so, I would check voltage coming to the solenoid, if you are getting a constant steady 12 + volts then I would thoroughly clean the solenoid plunger. I have seen these stick or hang at times and not open up as it should which will keep the engine from starting and running.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about the ignition switch as a possibility?

Not likely.

Based on the symptoms and what you have described as the issue it has to be either the seat safety switch or a relay that is in the safety wiring that is causing your problem.

If you are not getting voltage to the fuel solenoid then I might suspect a switch problem but you haven't mentioned anything about that up to this comment. I did suggest that you check voltage coming to the fuel solenoid in my last comment.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Had no voltage to fuel solenoid replaced every switch in between that and the ignition switch $80 later I spent anothe $15 on the ignition switch and it fired right up all systems working now

With no voltage to the fuel solenoid then I would have suggested wiring or the ignition switch. The ignition switch however normally would have nothing to do with the engine stalling or dying when you release the parking brake or engage the mower deck. I think this one was a combination of issues.

I am glad that you were able to solve the issue.

Thank you for using our services here.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician