Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a rv with a onan generator. my girl was cleaning the

Customer Question
counter and a stereo cord...
i have a rv with a onan generator. my girl was cleaning the counter and a stereo cord pluged into an outlet contacted water this while my generator was running. there was a spark and my generator died. ive yet to get it started since.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
8/10/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

What model gen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
40beir_261004, does that help? Mema. Class A

That is not a valid model number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats whats on the metal tag on the front of the generator. The manual says, McGraw_Edison
6.5
NH
GenSetInside the manual it has
6.5 NH_3C R 16004 M

That is a valid model number.

You had typed 40beir_261004 on the first one (you can scroll up to see it).

Check both plugs on the genset to see if you are getting spark.

Are you?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me check I'll get back to you

OK

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wait a minute, I really couldnt tell you since it wont so much as turn over now since that shorter cord killed it.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shorted cord is what I meant

That cord should not have affected the genset.

Check to see if you are getting 12V to the starter solenoid on the genset.

Check the fuses on the genset. There are 2 of them.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll get back to you in a minute.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the starter solenoid and theres 13 volts going to it. I checked the two fuses that are soldered to the board, by the way I have already replaced then as they were blown. The continuity was good. Theres no power going to that panel as I had pulled the third fuse, the sits in a harnes the you plug into the board from the front of the face plate. Now I did also check the switch while I was at it, and though I got continuity I noticed when I pushed the stop direction of the switch that it sticks for a moment before it snaps back.

There is no board in an NH unit. It is a solid state control.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about this for a model number. Please understand this was hand written paper glued to the front of the generator. 4.0 BGE_ 1R1261004. Is that helpful?

I believe what you have is a 4.0BGE-1R/26100 unit.

However, the very last digit will be a letter, not a number. This letter is critical.

I am assuming it is either an "A" or an "H", but I need to know for sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You are correct and the letter is an A.

On a BGE unit, there are no fuses soldered on to the control board, so I have no idea what you have done there.

The only fuse is the pull out fuse that you pull out through the front of the control panel.

Remove the control panel from the genset.

On the starter solenoid, you will see a large cable on the front (the battery cable), then you will see 2 small white wires on the side, to the left.

Remove the white wire nearest you. It should be labeled K1-S J1-2.

Test this wire for 12V while pressing the start button.

Does this wire have 12V?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Lwet me go ceck Ill get back to you.

I don't know where you are located, but here in Kentucky it is 11:30 PM. I have to get up at 6 to go to work.

I can give it about another 10 minutes here, but then I have to get to bed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Go ahead goodnight. By the way im in california, and the answer to your question is no, no power at all

If you have no power to that wire, but have power to the board and the fuse is good, then the board is bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see. Let me play around witb it and like you said its late. Go to bed and have a good nights sleep.

Ok.

Have you checked this yet?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician