Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a snapper GX2000 the wiring from the PTO switch to

Customer Question

I have a snapper GX2000 the wiring from the PTO switch to the brake / clutch interlock switch got tangled and broken.. there is a plug on that PTO switch with green, yellow, and brown wires....I need to know how those wires connect to the brake / clutch interlock swich.. and it includes the seat safety switch too. green is a ground. Looks like when that switch is on, the Green and Yellow connect.......and when it's in the down / off position, the brown and green connecct....
the brake interlock switch has 4 terminals.. top two ( 1 and 2 ) connect when the clutch is out/ brake off the bottom two ( 3 and 4 ) connect when the brake is in. terminals 1 and 3 have the yellow wire bridged... the yellow wire from terminal 3 then goes to the PTO switch, i think.......
terminal 2 had a brown wire to it, but not sure if it came from the seat switch, or the brown terminal of the PTO switch..... Terminal 4 of the brake switch I am not sure what was connected there.
I hope that's enough information.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** me a moment to read over the issue and I will be happy to help resolve this
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I thought I had my diagrams in my home laptop, but they are in my shop computer. I will be more than happy to send them to you in the morning if this is okay with you. If not, I will opt out so another expert can try to assist you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will wait. Thx
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Have you attempted to jump the solenoid to see if it would start and run?

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Would it help if I sent you a link to the wiring schematics for this machine?

What size engine is on your mower?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the link will help a lot. I can read the diagram
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
18hp
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what the actual model and serial numbers are?

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Many factors to consider here. What brand engine is this? Electric PTO?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GX2000 twin. Late 90's hydro drive. Don have serial number now. In daylight i can get it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electric pto. That works. 2 prange wires to clutch pto. Its the brake interlock switch. Linked through seat safety switch. Has to be simple.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

What is engine brand? Briggs & Stratton?

I have 18hp Briggs wiring diagrams, not sure if its same, but I can send it if it may help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kohler twin horizontal. Sorry i should have specified. The pto has two positions. When on the engine start is null. Off. solenoid cant engage. When off it allows start. And seat switch must be on for pto to work and engine run.
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Yes, seat switch must be down for the mower to run and PTO to engage. If the PTO is on, the machine will not start...CORRECT? If PTO is off and you are sitting on seat, will machine start?

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a sticker on your engine that states CH or SV something

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I taped down seat switch. Parking brake locked down. So button on switch in. Wont start. No solenoid click in on or off position of pto. I am not sure what current is supposed to fliw to where in each position of pto. One seat wire gets battery positive the other wire goes to ? I think it goes to the brake switch that has to be in during start. Thank you for trying. Not urgent. Coukd sleep on it
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

I am searching Kohler Site for manuals for diagrams. This is an 18hp Kohler engine correct? What model Kohler (Courage, Command, Magnum, ect..... ) It is a Twin Cylinder and not single

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Think I found it. Older engine. Kohler M18. Air filter on top

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

taking a guess, being as I do not know engine model and spec numbers. let me know.

GO TO SECTION 8

Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Here is another link to Kohler 18Hp Horizontal engine wiring diagram.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2480.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank yiu fir help so far. The diagram i need is not on that book on just tge engine. You can help me with the basic concept of the wiring. The solenoid works and i can turn it over the only issue is the wiring from the pto through brake/clutch and seat. 3 wires. Yellow. Green. Brown. When pto is on yellow and green ground are connected. When off green and brown connect. The pto engage clutch works
Expert:  JON replied 1 year ago.

Let me OPT OUT and see if there is an expert that knows more of the electrical on these as I am an engine tech mainly. Sorry I was unable to fully help, but I want to make sure the right expert can assist you in getting this issue resolved

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thank you
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See link above, this should be your mower with the M18 Kohler.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have seen that one. The color of the wires on mine are different. From pto there are 3 wires on one plug. Yellow.(top) Green ( middle). Brown. Bottom. I am not sure where those go on the brakebecause they broke. Got tangled. Not sure how to reconnect
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

GX2000 is not model number , looks like a series ,do you have another number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GT180H. On plate. Ser35297193
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Shows exact same diagram. What are you calling brake switch? which interlock. # 19 is the only one that would matter, a two wire switch can go either side. On # 19, the two center terminals are the common wire. That only leaves two possible ways, try one way, if ti does not work, swap the two outside wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Swich 19 has 4 terminals. To 1 and 2. Normally closed btake off. Bottom 3 an 4 connect when brake on. For start. I dont know how to connect Sw 29. To 19
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a connevtion to seat switch too 18
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You will have common wire to each switch in the four wire switch. N/C side will be the yellow, for run position, the N/O side will be brown, for start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Ty. I will try. The seat sw has a red. Then brown exit wire that i think goes to sw19 but not sure which side. I dont know color of common wire that connects. Its missing i guess.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

should be a paired wire for common, same color.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a common wire on the plug it is yellow. Both sides. The brown from sw29 i suppose goes to one side and the browm from seat goes to other. I will work on it get back. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>