Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I had a tecumseh engine which blew up and i changed it with

Customer Question
a few alterations for a...
i had a tecumseh engine which blew up and i changed it with a few alterations for a 12.5 formula engine..... more power? nowv my engine stalls when it comes up to longer grass it just dies is thisv a mixture problem or something more ominous
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: no idea on age and it hasnt really worked well since the change
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/5/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Do you have good fuel flow to the carburetor? Is this gravity flow fuel supply? Did old engine have a fuel pump? The stalling is indication that there is not enough fuel to the cylinder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it was gravity fed as is this one......runs perfectly on idle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
as the engine gets slightly strained it dies

Remove fuel hose at the carburetor and check for 1/4 cup of flow in 15 seconds.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is good flow bowl fills upwhen i press the float

Is the governor opening up when it hits load?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
governor?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how would i know

The governor has to move the throttle linkage at the carburetor , and when you hit load, the governor should move throttle to wide open position , so it will develop horsepower.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that happens but engine just dies
its a manual throttle

-Governor may not be working, or again, fule supply is restricted to the cylinder. There is no other reason engine would just die, unless you have a fuel solenoid in the carburetor.??

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i havent taken carburettor apart just bowl and choke makes no difference full choke or no choke runs the same hence why i asked about mixture

I doubt that the carburetor has any adjustment other than idle screw.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
nope

The main jet determines how much fuel enters the engine, and with choke making no difference, I question the fuel to the carburetor bowl.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
taken bowl apart again am going to take out float and see whats what

Float and needle valve only control fuel into the bowl, the center post in the carburetor is the main jet, and the bowl bolt that screws into it. Be sure the needle valve passage is not restricted from a piece of old fuel hose. Remove needle and fuel inlet hose and blow back from needle to outlet.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
started her up and she stalls the minute i engagev the grass collector brush

Hold throttle and when you turn on brush, move throttle to wide open position. If it stalls, it is not getting fuel.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
stalls when i give it all but sounds like too much air
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or not enough ????? stumped

No leak at the carburetor mounting, all tight with good gaskets?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician