Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a ,25hp Kawasaki. It has over 700 hrs. After initial

Customer Question

I have a scag ,25hp Kawasaki. It has over 700 hrs. After initial start and run, if I shut it off, it will not start.
What maintenance should I consider?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

When it will not start, is engine spinning, just not starting, or does the starter do nothing? How long does it have to sit before it will restart? If starter does not turn, is the starter getting battery voltage to th starter solenoids switch terminal? If it is , the starter solenoid is faiing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When it not start, I can hear it attempt but will not turn. I can hear energy like it is trying.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

D you have a voltmeter to check the battery draw when it trys? Battery voltage can not drop below 8 volts. If it drops, but less than 8 volts, the starter may be bad.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check.
Is there anything that could pull the battery down when running ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the electric clutch for the blades can draw battery down.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did notice yesterday, when I engaged the PTO, mower came close to stalled. How can I verify if the clutch is my problem ?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check battery voltage before start, and check it again with clutch running the blades. Charging system should keep voltage above 12 volts. If it is dropping lower, check the charging system, Usually the clutch will not draw battery down, if the charging system is working properly.