Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I was mowing and the blades kept stalling and then finally

Customer Question
hey, i was mowing and...
hey, i was mowing and the blades kept stalling and then finally stopped engaging. I'm not sure why.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: only if it isn't rocket science
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: well, the blades have been getting stalled for the last 4 or 5 mows but I thought that was due to wet grass that was kinda thick. when i mowed at a slower speed the blades did better. Just in case that my be important.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/31/2016
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

What kind of mower is this on? Model/Serial number is ***** have them please.

Can you rotate blades manually by turning the top pulleys?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
honda HRX 217 and I'll go see if the blades move
hrx217 4HYA SERIAL MAGA-2316807
I CAN MOVE THE BLADES BY HAND
which cable are the top pulleys?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
lets see if we can do this here first

so when you turn the pulley on top of the deck, the blades do turn?

huh? do what here first?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry, pop up windows keep asking me stuff
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
im not seeing where the pulley is.

oh okay. I should have known. Wanting to phone call? That's what happens most it seems.

Give me a moment to look up mower.

On top of deck, its what the blade attaches to and the belt goes on

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, when i rotate the pulley that the blades are attached to, the blades do move. they are stiff but move

NVM, mixed your question with another. pulling diagrams now for mower.

Sounds like the blade engagement cable need either tightened or replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
at the top of the pulley there is a cable that is seated but loose. Is that what you are talking about?

yes. it could be broke internally. pull the cable (metal) and see if it will come out completely. If it is loose, it needs to be tightened or replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i engage the blade with the button on the handle, the cable tightens up, pulls something on top of the mower and the blades turn easier by hand. the cable is not broken that i can see
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry man, the cable pulls something on top of the pulley

but with mower running the blades will not move? you have a spring and idler pulley underneath and when cable is tight, the idler engages the belt.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, the belt has slack with the cable engaged, i can push the belt about 1/2 inch downward
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when i was mowing 30 minutes ago, the blades stopped spinning with the mower running. the mower stilled self propelled
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
could the belt just be slipping? needs a new belt?

yes. I am sorry, I was thinking you had installed a new belt already. How old is your belt currently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2 years
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i live in tennessee, lot of mowing

yeah, it could be time. LOL! I'm in TN also. What part are you in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
franklin
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how hard is it to change it?

I am in Knoxville. About 3 hrs away.

Inspect the belt for shiny sides and smoothness. also, inspect the pulley for a shiny groove.

It is not the easiest job to do. transmission will need to be removed to do it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
yeah, i think its time to take to a mechanic. thanks for your help. knox is cool, i have a sister in law there. hey, does it matter where i take the mower as long as they are honda certified?

No. I would try to find a dealer, but it is not a must

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, thanks man!

not a problem. Please RATE me as I strive to do my best, ***** ***** rating helps. You have yourself a good evening

JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician