How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JON Your Own Question
JON, Small Engine Technician
Category: Small Engine
Satisfied Customers: 1079
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
Type Your Small Engine Question Here...
JON is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to adjust rev.s on 122T02-2003-B1 08010456. mower

Customer Question

I want to adjust rev.s on 122T02-2003-B1 08010456. mower victor tornado 500 push lawn mower Briggs and stratten engine
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

There is no adjustments on this carb. You have a gov spring that controls the throttle.

Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

to make the engine rev higher/lower, you would just bend the front metal part that the spring hooks to. backwards bend gives you less rpms, forward bend gives you more rpms

Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

one of these setups is what you have? the gov springs are the same just hook to diff parts, and one has the extra spring going to the vane

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. The machine has minimal value I am 86 with limited knowledge of on line stuff. Your answer to my request needs a bit more though. the setup I have is third reply link on your answer, hole holding spring is not bendable. The linkage joint to shaft from engine seems to be adjustable by a clamp & screw. A dimension or instruction so that rod on shaft can be placed in correct position I believe is what I require.
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.
Did you receive pics I uploaded. Your engine numbers posted brought up the 3 types I took pictures of and sent. I can upload more if needed
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.
The rod goes into the hole closest to outside edge of the throttle shaft plate spring hooks from the circle part of rod, to front of engine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HI JON Thanks again for your response. The rod you refer that takes the throttle spring from the front hole runs under the shroud to a lever clamped to a shaft which exists the crank case. there does not appear to be affixed position to locate on this shaft. therefore depending where it is installed it alters the position of the throttle at rest. I can take it apart and try another spot but I thought There would be an instruction on where to set. may be a distance from somewhere to somewhere
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

That is the mechanical governor. there should be a hole on the end, that it goes into and then it reaches to carb and hooks into throttle plate hole. the spring then hooks from throttle rod, to front tab.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HI Sorry for my absence yesterday. This is my Third message back .I can only hope you are receiving them. Your last pic shows an arm which can alter where the rod it links up with positions the throttle. Where I Position the screw clamp to the shaft will alter operation of throttle .I can by trial & error get it ok but shroud has to be moved each time and I was looking for a dimension or angle to set the lever you show in your last pic.
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

Setting the Gov is pretty much trial and error. I would also but once you get it close, move to adjust the spring holder on the front.

Is it possible for you to upload a picture of your set-up. I can use your picture and label everything for you and send it back to you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi Jon I have been busy and still are . AS soon am I able I will send pic With what Ive Got to do it may be two days . If you say it is by trial & error I will have to try, you cant run or try till you put the whole top back on though .ps Ive also got computer problems regards john
Expert:  JON replied 11 months ago.

not a problem, I will be here